Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeling low - I think I might have to give up milking  (Read 16167 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Feeling low - I think I might have to give up milking
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 06:54:38 pm »
Would a 5-year old be able to use the Ez?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 06:59:09 pm »
You spray the milk in to your bucket or bottle

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 07:12:59 pm »
Ok  :D It's been a long day  :relief:

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 07:19:21 pm »
Just been thinking ... A 12 volt water pump from a car or caravan.. Older caravans had a foot pump system that could work

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 07:32:33 pm »
My  Smallholder Milking Machine was great but I can't get anyone to fix it.I've tried making some of the others but they didn't work.The EZ does the job and in my mind is worth every penny

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 07:46:51 pm »
Gotta say I like mine. And I was even more impressed when I found you could buy parts and mend it  :thumbsup:

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 08:51:30 pm »
I know I am repeating myself here, but the American 'Henry Milker' is SO easy to make and costs around £30

I realise it's not going to work for Clydesdaleclopper but anyone needs a hand pump type milker then this a very cheap option - (not disputing the Udderly EZ is a more professional option but I'm thinking cheap here  ;) )

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »

At what age do you think a child could milk? My eldest has just turned 5 so I expect he is far too young but he wants to try and if he was doing it I'd be there too getting my cuddles even if I didn't get any child free time.

At one time I would have agreed he is too young but then I met someone who started milking as soon as she could walk, according to her grandmother.  That might be a slight exaggeration (or she started walking late) but I would certainly let your lad have a go, CC.  I have taught seven year olds to milk and that's not much older.  Nothing to lose, except maybe some milk,so worth trying.

I wouldn't reckon on joints seizing up making it easier to milk cos that's when it starts to hurt.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31:24 pm »
I would let him trying milking too. He may have strong little hands and be just fine. My neice could milk out our (admittedly older, very experienced) milker from the age of seven. She's 14 now and can easily milk everything.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 09:42:04 pm »
My younger daughter (turned 9 this summer) milked one of our goats out this year at the shows. Now she is not the highest yielding goat (about 4.5kgs this summer) and has nice good sized teats. However Tina has milked her since she came to us last September, so if your goat is fairly placid (or keen on her food) I would let him have a go.
But I commiserate with you, I used to love my "me time" in the goatshed... not anymore... :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »
Would a 5-year old be able to use the Ez?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 10:13:14 am »
I've got a four year old and three year old who both love to 'help' with the milking. They can both manage the technique but don't really have the concentration and patience yet to sit there for long enough to milk out completely.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 02:04:02 pm »
I've got a four year old and three year old who both love to 'help' with the milking. They can both manage the technique but don't really have the concentration and patience yet to sit there for long enough to milk out completely.
Yes that was our experience too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 08:20:55 pm »
Looks like it's worth trying, CC.  Even if he only does half a job, it will beeasier for you to finish than do the lot, I should imagine.  Let us know how you get on.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 08:30:39 pm »
Right enough - even if he only does part of the job that would help. He is rather distractible  so I can't imagine he would manage for the whole time.

Any idea how best to start showing him? Is a glove filled with water or the real thing best?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS