Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Manners on the lead - UPDATE  (Read 6461 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Manners on the lead - UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 01:36:57 pm »
I will see if we can get a photo on our next training session!  I'm currently using my sheep head collar as its nice and soft (and available!) I did wonder if I needed to go and buy a small pony one but so far this is just dandy. Its only temporary hopefully as he'll soon be like him mum who ambles along beautifully  - then again, he might never be that good!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 04:27:55 pm »
SallyintNorth ,I don't use a collor on a dog anyway except for just general living.For work and training I use a CHECK or a half check (note I say Check not choke because if its choking the dog it isn't being used or put on correctly...a check chain should never be tight around the neck)Unfortunately most people go to buy their collors etc from pet shops full of assistants who's knowledge of training or equipment could be written on the back of a postage stamp in large capital letters!!!! ;D ;) (The number of times I've been tempted to make a shop assistance put the bloomin thing round their neck when I've witnessed them try to sell a chain thats far too long or thin for the breed then put it on the wrong way round!Or sold them a lead that is half chain and leather,or even worse those silly things that are just virtually a handle!...and don't get me started on those bloomin dangerous expanding things!!!!!!!!!!!)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 05:04:21 pm »
Oh no! A friend of mine lost half a finger with one of those extending leads - she was walking a young lab at the time, poor thing, she had 3 very small children to contend with and lots of surgery  :(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 10:30:27 pm »
If the goats don't pull they can't do damage ;D  Mind you I think you'll find most of the pulling problems caused with collors is because like dogs the collors are used wrong,they are supposed to be at the TOP of the neck not at the bottom.A lot of people put the collor on let it slip down to the bottom of the neck and wonder why the goat can pull.
   Same as a harness that seems to be the in thing...harness's are for animals to PULL in like sledge dogs.tracking dogs,pit bulls and guide dogs! :)

Sledge dogs, yes.  Tracking dogs, yes.  Guide dogs, no.  Guide dogs guide.  The harness should be loosely round the chest so there is a gentle tension but not pull, and the blind person is guided by the movement of the handle.  It's a case of following the movement of the dog's body which is reflected through the harness into the handle.  How do I know?  I just asked my OH who is now working his ninth guide dog.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 11:25:55 am »
Yeah I only slipped the guide dog in because it is required to move out in front,the harness allowing it to do its job without hurting/rubbing itself as opposed to a collor...probably a bit missleading on my behalf :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 11:30:33 am »
JJ - were you riding a chestnut horse on the main road yesterday? If so, did you see a mad woman in black landrover waving at you after slowing down? waved anyway because I thought it might be you  ;)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 05:22:10 pm »
ME,ride a HORSE!!!!!!!!!?...Not bloomin likely,I only ride animals with brains between their ears!

;D ;D ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 05:54:09 pm »
 ;D  well I was surprised to see 'you' on a horse and it deffo wasn't a mule I saw so I waved at someone else  ;)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »
Very friendly of you, Plums.   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS