Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging question  (Read 1915 times)

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
Tagging question
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:26 pm »
Ok, I know this is basic stuff that I really should know, but I don't so I'm going to ask here  :eyelashes:

Our first litter of British Lops are now 8wks old and have been separated from their mum.  I've just been ordering some ear tags ready for tagging any that leave us, but have no idea what should be printed on them.  Can someone help please  ;D

Gemma x

HappyHippy

Re: Tagging question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:55:13 pm »
If they are pedigree, you'll need to identify them as such - I don't keep lops but someone on here will  ;) hopefully they'll keep you right in that respect. BPA members have a code they need to include on the tag, so I'm assuming Lops are the same.

Otherwise it's normally UK, then your herd no and a number to identify the pig. If you're selling them and moving them to other holdings where they'll be raised for meat, I would just leave them without tags though - they can move farm to farm on a temporary mark (at least they can in Scotland - think it's still the same in England/Wales) and only having one tag/herd number on will make it easier when the time comes to slaughter.

I move weaners on a temporary mark and recommend the metal tags for slaughter (applied the day before so they don't get ripped out or grow into the ear  :thumbsup:) or the button plastic tags for permanent ID tags.
HTH
Karen

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »
Got it, thanks Karen.  Yes, all of our piglets are birth notified so all have a number for our herd.  The temporary marks sound like they are all we need at the moment though.

Thanks again  :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:50:55 pm »
chickenfeed has pedigree lops   kim will keep you right :farmer:

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:00:28 pm »
all lops are tattooed prior to weaning (seperating from mother) as per the lop rules boars first outside of left ear and inside of right ear any pigs you are keeping will also have a ear tag with your herd no on and a unique number any you sell on as breeders should also have tags any sold as weaners for meat can have a temp mark eg blue circle, red line, black cross.
gemma if your not sure about anything ring either my self or frank both our numbers are on the lop site

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS