Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Non-posting members  (Read 10280 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Non-posting members
« on: September 16, 2012, 07:36:15 pm »
Has anyone every looked at the number of posts?  Following on from Plums going awol and wondering why, I just had a  look. 

There are 104 pages of members who have never ever posted on here, and another 43 pages who have only posted once or twice - at 30 to a page that is almost 4500 people - where are they all? ::)  And why have they never said anything? ???
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Non-posting members
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:54:49 pm »
Folk come on looking for an answer to a question, find it and go. And posts in Coffee Lounge don't count.

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »
It can be intimidating here.   The likes of me don't try to compete: too much hassle.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 08:42:16 pm »
It can be intimidating, but the sub-forums are in place for light introductions.

The main reason is the work it takes to run a forum I would imagine.  Its hard to know if a member 'is' a member or a lurker or indeed just a random computer sign-up trying to spam your forum.

It is tru to say that the majority of the 4500 redundant members are infact either created by breaches in forum security in terms of computer sign-up or random people that wil never come back - but its decided who is what and who is who.  Its easier to just leave all the members in your database untill you get a few bounces off their email or somethig and then do a big cull every now and then.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:36 pm »
Some members join to enable them to reply to posts in For Sale .....and I have noticed a few newbies join, put an ad on the for sale board and then never come on again!!

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 11:01:05 pm »
I'm sure there are a good few who are intimidated by the forum, I would think many Accidental Smallholders are quiet natured folk.
Some long standing members on here think they own the place and have a holier than thou attitude, frankly not helpful, not welcoming and not typical of the majority of us.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 11:27:46 pm »
I would hope people aren't intimidated.  I know there have been problems, which could have put people off, but they all seem to be resolved for the moment.  I've been a member since last September so just a year and I have only found people to be helpful and friendly.

I do agree, though, that a lot of people appear then disappear. I try to welcome everyone who introduces themselves but there are many who are never seen again after that.  Shame.

mcginty

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Tyrone, N.I.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 11:33:31 pm »
It can be intimidating here.   The likes of me don't try to compete: too much hassle.
Feeling the same, after posting i think what a load of rubbish.
Cant, talk the talk, again to much hassle.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:56:20 pm by mcginty »
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 11:59:45 pm »
I would hope people aren't intimidated. 

I like it here and I like to read the other threads, but having seen some of the replies people have been left since I joined, I'd be very wary of asking advice on situations I found myself in.  Maybe those with tougher outlooks wouldn't care, but I know I'm sensitive enough to be upset by it so I won't put myself in that position.

Anyway, I'm sure that's not solely responsible for the high numbers of inactive members, I'm pretty sure that's just the nature of forums.

mcginty

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Tyrone, N.I.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 12:25:49 am »
Forums in my opinion seem to be hijacked by a chosen few.
As for advice, the jury is still out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:32:11 am by mcginty »
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 03:14:01 am »
And when one of the chosen few has a hissy fit and throws her toys out of the pram all the others gather round in dismay and persuade her to re-join.  It happened again yesterday. 

When I joined I said I'd keep my head down.  Not doing too well at that so far - been shot at twice already

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 07:17:30 am »
Forums in my opinion seem to be hijacked by a chosen few.
As for advice, the jury is still out.
And when one of the chosen few has a hissy fit and throws her toys out of the pram all the others gather round in dismay and persuade her to re-join.  It happened again yesterday. 

When I joined I said I'd keep my head down.  Not doing too well at that so far - been shot at twice already

Two words -
'Nail' and 'Head'
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 08:00:56 am »
Can't understand why anyone would join with the intention of ' keeping ones head down' If we all did that- there would be no forum! . as for ' the chosen few '  who does the chosing?
It's all down to the individual and their personalities, life is too short to worry about what people think of you, so wake up and get posting , so what, If someone take a pot shot at you- simply shoot back , sod e'm , get out there and voice your opinion , not everyone will agree with it , and why should they, it's a debate -not an argument .  :thinking:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 08:01:53 am »
Oh dear   what a sad way for the forum to be viewed     tho i have to agree with some aspects of these postings
Personally i have found the forum to be in the overall scheme of things a helpful well informed place that has managed to offer us in particular some well measured advice and would hope that on ocassion that hes been reciprocated although due to the very nature of some manners on here both OH and myself refrain from posting and just trawl and read
Of late it has become very much a club   'if you're in you're in   and if you're out you're most definitely out' which is a shame some of us aren't quite as keen to be in the limelight as others but aren't defunct of an opinion or an experience to share but have     particularly recently    been put off doing so
I sincerely hope it sorts itself out soon      and would have to add    if a post is offensive report it to mods with clearly defined reasons as to why and let them deal with it   :sunshine:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:03:53 am »
Quite simply Tiz    as previously said   not everyone is made of such stern stuff       and frankly in some circles only certain opinions count..............in my perception that is :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS