Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dying stock  (Read 2880 times)

doreen

• Joined Sep 2012
Dying stock
« on: September 14, 2012, 02:46:10 pm »
I have hens and muscovy ducks. Over the past 4 weeks 3 hens and 2 muscovy ducks have died. They appear fine then go wobbly ,gradually go off their legs then after 2 days die. All seem to be eating and drinking o.k.then the wings seem to droop, and they appear to be very subdued,then die. Anyone got any ideas. The hens have been wormed 3 weeks ago and treated for redspidermite 4 weeks ago.

the great composto

Re: Dying stock
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 03:20:01 pm »
i would check the symptoms of coccidiosis.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 04:01:50 pm »
Get some antibiotic in the water ASAP.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:01:26 pm »
I'd think cocci too, given that it's affecting both ducks and hens, so won't be Mareks or DHV. Do the hens have the runs? Hard to tell with ducks!

You could just treat them for it. I know, before anyone says, you shouldn't just treat but what is she to do, wait for more to die?

The effective treatment for coccidiosis you have to get from the vet. Baycox or Intradine. Don't bother with Coxoid, which you can buy online, it doesn't kill the bugs, just stops them breeding, which is not enough when you've got an outbreak.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:05:23 pm by jaykay »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:57:29 pm »
Drooping wings is a classic sign of Mareks disease.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:22:07 pm »
But Mercks vet manual says ducks don't get Mareks.

I guess drooping wings could just be a sign of being exhausted and ill?

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:04:00 pm »
In my experience I would go with cocci. I had the same thing earlier this year and lost a dutch bantam and a big muscovy drake. I got some Baycox from the vet and treated everything. Now I put cider apple vinegar in their water to improve general digestion and make their guts a little more hostile to nasties. Hope you get sorted very soon, it's disheartening to lose birds.  :bouquet:
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

doreen

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 03:37:33 pm »
Many thanks to all who gave such good advice about my dying stock. Started Cider Apple Vinegar, antibiotics start tomorrow.No more deaths at the moment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS