Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are my hubbards okay?  (Read 1417 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Are my hubbards okay?
« on: September 15, 2012, 05:07:41 pm »
Hello folks,

My chicken experience so far has focused on hybrids and hatching a number of light sussex's.  We've recently hatched a number of Hubbards - 4 are now 3 weeks old and 8 are a week old.  I've noticed a few differences in this breed that I'm not sure are normal.  The older 4 have enormous crops and breathe very heavily at times.  Their behaviour does not indicate any distress and they are eating and pooing normally.  Not having raised this breed before I'm not sure if they're just a bit different from light Sussex (and I'm being a bit paranoid), or whether there is something the matter.

Any advice?

Lynn

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Are my hubbards okay?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 05:36:45 pm »
We've had maybe a dozen batches of Hubbards and never had the "symptoms" you describe. We've never found them any different from other chicks - except faster growing.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:24:18 pm »
Hi,I keep Hubbard's and they are gluttonous creatures who will stuff themselves silly,and yes there crop do get pendulous.
What are you feeding them I switch them from crumb to pellets at 3 to 4 weeks old.
You are aware they are broilers so need to eat large amounts to fuel there rapid growth.

Graham.
Graham.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:57 am »
Maybe cracked wheat and a supply of grit in a separate container would do them good and a supply of greens.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »
Thanks very much for all you help!  Much appreciated

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS