Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any Suggestions?  (Read 13431 times)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
Any Suggestions?
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:38:20 pm »
Hi all! The OH and myself will soon be thinking about buying our next two piggies as our current ones will be making their final trip at the end of March. We have oxford sandy and blacks now , whilst our previous (and first) pair were old spots. We have thoroughly enjoyed both and wondered if any one could recommend any breed for the next ones and why?   
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Any Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:14:54 pm »
Oh Guy there is absolutely no question  after the others you have to try tamworths, in my opinion the meat is just superb, second to none.  Although I would strongly suggest neutered males or females. 

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:37:58 pm »
Thanks HM , do they grow to a similar size to the others? your post seems to elude to the males being a bit feisty?? also , how vocal are they (alas i need to sometimes think of my neighbours )- you should have seen their faces when i explained to them we were going to keep pigs initially - mind you i gave them a joint (of pork that is!) and since then they have been a lot more interested :D

wildwoods

• Joined Feb 2008
  • West Berkshire
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:24:34 pm »
I've kept both Berkshires and British Saddlebacks and have to say that they're both wonderful in terms of nature whilst alive and meat once they've gone.

I slightly lean to Saddlebacks at the moment as they don't seem to carry so much fat - even if they're lazy and wanting to lie in the sun all day (some hope at the moment!).

What are you looking for in your grunters?

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:27:34 pm »
thanks ww ,
the flavour and quality of meat is really important - but  they also need to be friendly things - nothing worse than being chased out of the pen!!! as Linda found out last week! although they dont seem to give me the same run around!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 06:15:22 am »
Gotta be a GOS then  :D :D :D............ or a Berkshire  ;D ;D ;D ......... and I've got a litter of piglets from each available from Easter  :D ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 07:19:02 am »
 :D  Hi Guy, yes tamworth boars can be a bit well bossy, which is why from now on we are going to us AI for the tammies.  We have gossies and the boar is very gentle, but for flavour and superb meat quality and just plain FUN you cant beat a tammie. 

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:13:05 am »
thats handy then blinkers ;)!! dont know much about berkshires - are they the blackones ? i guess i need to try out all of the different types at some point!!

I think we have definately decided to go for two gilts this time hm , although the young osb chap is nice enough he has given us a little more in the way of "fun!"- are the tammies easy enough to get hold of(I mean to buy that is , not wrestle with :D)

If i could only persuade the farmer next door to sell me an half an acre or so , i could try out lots of varieties in one go!!! 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:04:42 am »
Tammies are relatively easy to source, where are you ? 

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 11:40:45 am »
We are in East devon about 10 miles from Exeter , so easy for motorway access. 

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 10:36:21 pm »
Hi Guy - yes Berkshires are black but kill out white.  We bought the sow from the Lady Iveagh on the Suffolk/Norfolk border and they have a Farm Shop and Restaurant (well they do farm about 3 thousand acres !!!) and apparently the Berkshire Pork now had "quite a following" in Lady Clare's words.       :D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 11:43:01 pm »
hmmm , more to think about there then (as long as 3000acres isnt the minimum requirement to keep them :D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 08:11:33 am »
There are quite a few breeders of tammies in that area, worth contacting the BPA for breeders. 

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 06:41:35 pm »
Thanks hm - thatll give me something to do on my day off on Sunday ( other than the other list of jobs  ;) - always fun to go and look at piglets ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 09:07:02 pm »
We've never had anything else but Tamworths, so can't compare, but the Tamworths are great - they are just exuberant. And are good footballers, if that's important to you!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS