Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh pants, pants, pants.  (Read 11242 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Oh pants, pants, pants.
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:01:57 pm »
Well, after much deliberating and telling everyone who has rang up for my sheep that they are already gone, at last some really nice people with a few acres and previous experience of sheep have rang up asking to visit my sheep tomorrow. Brilliant. They sound fab and just like the kinda people I want my sheep going to. However, tonight when I visit my sheepages, my friend and neighbours Poll Dorset x Lleyn ram lamb (born early Feb 2012) has broken into field and I caught him on top of my ewe lambs born late Feb and mid march. His winky was out but I can't tell if he 'hit the spot'. How likely is it that my 6 month old lambs have 'caught'? Obviously I will tell them the truth and see how they feel about potential February lambing but I would obviously rather they didn't become mothers so young. Any advice here peeps?
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
Re: Oh pants, pants, pants.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:11:01 pm »
I had a GFD ewe lamb caught last year and decided to let her carry, then bottle feed the lamb to let her dry off and grow on. She duly gave birth unaided, and was so full of milk I decided to leave her to it. Her lamb did just as well as the others and she has come on well herself. She has just gone to the ram again - planned this time!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:14:39 pm »
It's pretty common for commercial farmers to tup ewe lambs, I'd be careful about feeding them over winter/late pregnancy in that case.  http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/04/09/2009/117533/Maximise-sheep-profitablitity-by-breeding-from-ewe-lambs.htm

Agree honesty is best policy  :thumbsup:

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:15:40 pm »
Oh darn it Hazelwood... I was hoping everyone was going to tell me "nah... t'is too early. They won't catch."  ;)  I don't mind for myself personally... but it looks really unprofessional to the buyers. Tho' I guess some may be thrilled. Means they get lambs quicker with no need to hire a tup, maybe!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »
Is this a Shetland ewe lamb? (Isn't that what you have?) If yes I would be worried if she got caught by a large X tup... but also less of a chance of her taking... If a large Xlamb she should be fine with not too much food. But surely you can't sell her?

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 10:33:51 pm »
Hi Anke
I do have Shetlands but these are my Shetland x Charollais ewe lambs that got meddled with.  Oh god. Just thought.... surely not my Texel x Mules as well!!!  :o  They are pretty robust and sturdy. Not much smaller than the tup. It's more than one ewe lamb Anke.
That's what I was not sure about. The protocol and ethics of selling newly possibly impregnanted sheep. I have no idea. I have never actually managed to force myself to sell any before! LOL! I feel bad for letting the people down (but it really couldn't be helped) and if it is safe for my sheep to go and the new owners are happy with the situation, then I would be ok (just) to sell them but if they are at risk then i am more than happy for them to stay! Except next year I will have to man up and make myself sell twice as many!  :gloomy:  Tho' I could sell as ewes with lambs at foot maybe (it's easy to think like this when I have 7 or so months to change my mind back to keeping them all again!!!!!!!)  :innocent:
The new owners, are, literally, a couple of miles down the road - just in case this piece of information is helpful to other post-ers.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:41:45 pm »
Mallows, these things happen in all species, it's just one of those hiccups life throws.

Great news you have found experienced people with knowledge. They will most likely understand as long as you are truthful and give reassurance of your help and advice  if they need it.  :sunshine:

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 10:46:32 pm »
Yes Mammyshaz..... the lady's father is a farmer and his best friend is a certain someone well known in the Shetland Sheep Society so she has loads of advice and support to hand anyway.
I think best thing I can do is ring her in the morning to give her a good 8 hours before visit time to tell her of situation and give her time to think it over. If worst comes to worst, I have the number of someone selling Castlemilk Moorit x Shetlands she may be interested in.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:48:19 pm »
We tup ewe lambs and never had a problem lambing but we have had a couple reject their lambs but we just dry those off. Normally carry singles. you only tend to get problems if you feed the ewe lamb up and make it mature above its natural rate. A poll dorsetxlleyn ram isnt a bad shape as a tup for first timers. Just make sure you tell the prospective buyers

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 10:53:51 pm »
Originally typed a reply while haze wood lock was typing, but Internet went down and lost a long reply  ::)

Did, however, suggest the pants, pants, pants, be  applied to the needed place next season   :sheep: ( sorry, just couldn't help it after plums recent  topic posts )

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:58:56 pm »
LOL Mammyshaz.... i just read those posts too. Cracked me up! Sod the pants, I say. Nappies filled with spermicide will be in my kit for next season!  :roflanim:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:00:13 pm »
 :roflanim:  :roflanim:  :roflanim:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 12:33:16 am »
I put ewe lambs to the tup - usually end Nov/Dec from Apr born lambs (at 40Kg or over), even then, some wont take the ram. I feel that it is possible that your ewe was cycling, but not probable. I wouldn't sell her unless the purchaser is happy that she may be in lamb.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:06 am »
I'd say there is a significant chance one or more of your ewe lambs could be pregnant. 

Hoggs and a single lamb isn't such a bad thing - but I'd keep 'em handy when lambing as they sometimes need to be penned up and given some support to get the lamb to suckle (and be allowed to suckle) and to bond.

We often tup a few hoggs, the bigger ones, and later in the season - they learn their jobs and make better mothers as shearlings, but if they have twins it's best really to take one off and bottle-rear it, two takes too much out of a hogg.

It sounds as though your prospective buyers are novices themselves although they have great support to hand.  I really wouldn't suggest in-lamb hoggs for novices; you need a bit of experience of lambing to cope with hoggs lambing, I'd say.

I could suggest a way to find out (pre-scanning) - if you could get hold of a teaser, raddle him, and run him with the girls, anyone whose bum he paints is not in lamb and could be sold.  Anyone not painted is either in lamb or not cycling yet.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 07:46:14 am »
Brilliant. I have a teaser. He is looking very much up to the job! Thank you ever so much for all the advice.
Lisa

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS