Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaning query  (Read 2097 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
weaning query
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:11:41 am »
On Saturday I separated my 5 month old twins off of my AN/Boer as they are being sold soon.  I wanted to wean naturally and hadn't noticed any feeding off of mum, but her udder has now become very full.   I have cut down her hard feed, and have given her a homeopathic remedy to dry up the milk.  How long does this usually take.  Is it obvious if it developes into mastitus.  I am also gently rubbing some peppermint udder cream on.  She is very grumpy which is unlike her.  Thanks for any advice.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: weaning query
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:33:48 am »
If her udder is full and uncomfortable then you will need to milk her off , cut out any hard feed and just give her some hay in the evenings, do not stimulate her bag when you milk , just keep taking less and less , enough to keep it fresh in the udder , measure what the yield is and you should see a natural reduction .

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: weaning query
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »
Yes, no concentrate at all, plenty of hay and fresh water obviously. Milk out some of the milk,until the udder feels soft but not empty. You may have to do this for a few days. Check for it becoming hot and her becoming uncomfortable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS