Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pure Sanaan male  (Read 3927 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Pure Sanaan male
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:31:42 pm »
Does anyone know of a pure Sanaan male available for stud?  As any kids will be sold, I would like to keep the breed if possible.  I'm in Shropshire.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Pure Sanaan male
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:10:09 pm »
Have you tried looking on the Saanen breed society website ?
there is a map in this link where the stud males are  http://www.saanen.co.uk/MapLarge.htm
Graham

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:27:23 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't think that map is very up to date. One of the Scottish males listed on that died in 2005! However, the ones which point to a breeder/herd have more chance of still being accurate.

Beth

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:33:34 am »
I have a pure Saanen buckling for sale   ........    by Wytsend Saracen  out of Imported Janesmieke.
He is not huge but growing fast   has a wonderful fringe !!!    Need to use him on a couple of females but expect to do that within the next 2 weeks.
Gordon George....  Ardross Animal Transport.... could do the transport.  Gordon, a very good friend of mine is a goat breeder himself.
Fully CAE negative, Scrapie Monitired & tested for Brucella Melitensis.
Imported Janesmieke  is a 2nd kidder producing 6kg daily with an average of 4.5% BF

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:20:48 am »
Look up SAMSARA HAMILTON , He changed hands shortly after we used him and I think he is in Hereford area now.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 11:47:27 am »
 Try Preloved at least there's usually a picture and price :)
(I like the "Two female 7 months old billy goats " for sale on there now ;D )
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:44:37 pm by jinglejoys »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:54:52 pm »
As far I recall MGofM, you keep the goats in your backgarden, therefore I take it you don't want to buy one, just use it for stud?

I am afraid I don't know many Saanen breeders in your area. However there is a Mrs S Hampton at Bridgnorth, Shropshire. Now I don't have her contact details, and her goats could be related to yours for all know (prefix Sansara) but she does seem to have a few Saanens. Pm me if you want her postcode.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:26:35 pm »
As far I recall MGofM, you keep the goats in your backgarden, therefore I take it you don't want to buy one, just use it for stud?

I am afraid I don't know many Saanen breeders in your area. However there is a Mrs S Hampton at Bridgnorth, Shropshire. Now I don't have her contact details, and her goats could be related to yours for all know (prefix Sansara) but she does seem to have a few Saanens. Pm me if you want her postcode.

Beth

You're right.  I only want one for stud. I was told about the lady in Bridgnorth but that she wouldn't allow other goats near hers.  I think I have found one now.  The owner of my girl's father has another male available and she is fairly near me.

Thanks for all the advice.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 08:08:30 am »
Yes , Sara is a closed herd, huge setup there.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 08:12:07 am »
Yes this one of the difficulties of pure Saanen.............Sara & I are the only herds on the scrapie scheme.  This is why pure Saanens are in decline......basically going down the pan.    I imported 3 from Holland last year which I hope will introduce some new blood for the time being.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 09:35:53 pm »
I thought maybe it was because people preferred the coloured goats.  I've always had a soft spot for Sanaans as I first learned to milk a lovely girl called Crystal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS