Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 14 rams next field, when do I 'worry'?  (Read 16774 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
14 rams next field, when do I 'worry'?
« on: September 06, 2012, 04:42:24 pm »
Silly question really but...local farmer keeps 14 tups of various breeds in the paddock next to ours. Currently I have my 5 soppy pet sheep happily munching away but do I need to worry that the tups will suddenly realise that my ewe's could be up for some fun? the fencing (owned by neighbour) is OK but I don't think it would keep a randy ram out!  Just thinking... breeding season is approaching isn't it?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: 14 rams next field, when do I 'worry'?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:44:50 pm »
 :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: Yes, and yes  ;D :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 04:50:08 pm »
That's pretty much what I thought!! Luckily 3 of my  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:  are boys! (castrated ones) but they'll be picked on won't they (the entire rams might call them names and stuff.)

MIght need to move paddocks then  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:50:48 pm »
I have the opposite dilemma ... my 1 ram and 4 ram lambs in a field next door to my neighbours welsh mountain girls (although they are a bit manky so I'm hoping my boys have better taste! ;) ).  I'm thinking one more week or two them move them elsewhere.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:17:27 pm »
Plums - not only can the tups jump in and the ewes jump out, but they can do the biz through the fence too  :o :o .  Also tups aren't fussy about the sex of what they're humping - so your little lads need to watch out too  :love:   ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:24:19 pm »
I've had rams break down stock fencing to get at ewes, so Id move em pretty soon...

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:29:27 pm »
now fleecwife sheep sex through a fence      that must be getting near the imaculate conception :roflanim: :roflanim:      do tell us more :farmer:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »
Have read that you need double fencing between ewes and rams because of this.
Can't quite imagine how they manage it  :o :eyelashes:

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 06:38:47 pm »
now fleecwife sheep sex through a fence      that must be getting near the imaculate conception :roflanim: :roflanim:      do tell us more :farmer:

We've had lambs conceived using this method  ::) .  Always have to be careful using the barrier method  ;D  not always 100% reliable

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:47:29 pm »
Oh Help!  I have my ram in paddock in middle of field with my ewes batting their eyelids at them.  Presumed they were safe with the stock fence.  How on earth can they manage it through the fence??!! 

Meanwhile, my randy ram lamb is trying to hump all the slaughter lambs in another field! Going to give him some girlies to play with this weekend before he goes to his new home next month.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 11:33:11 pm »
Well, on the moorland farm we kept the tups in the next field to the ewes for two-three weeks before tupping, so that the girls had their fancies tickled and would all be cycling when the tups were let in.  We never had any "failures of the barrier method" (love that!  :roflanim:) - and I'm talking 450+ ewes over a period of several years, with only a single-thickness of stock fence between them - plus 20 feet of galvanised gate that you'd have thought might offer 'opportinities' to diligent suitors!  ;)

So I think that one must be breed dependent.  Maybe those Hebs, Soays and so ons are just a little more agile and determined than our Swaledales, Mules, Texels and Blue-faced Leicesters!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 01:01:04 am »
Yes they're sexy ladies  :eyelashes:   I think it requires the ewe to reverse up to the fence and the tup to use his ingenuity.  We haven't seen the deed itself but we have seen the results  :sheep: :sheep: 8)     I can't believe what this forum makes me write  ::) :o :tired:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 07:46:39 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 07:50:09 am »
Today I have to spend the day making my lady sheep look unattractive to the rambo's next door. I shall draw a 'tache and armpit hair on them with purple spray, that should do it.

Failing that, I shall phone the farmer and ask him politely when he is shifting his boys and try and keep the worried tone from my voice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS