Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Summer 2012 - what did it bring to you?  (Read 10465 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Summer 2012 - what did it bring to you?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 08:38:50 am »
Oh I did also learn some important lessons

1) don't leave seed potatoes in a dark box and forget about them as they turn into triffids

2) remember to turn electric fence off before bending over to show teenage 'helper' how to milk goat (ow!)

3) hugging a car battery as you carry it down steep steps is a really stupid idea, especially when you realise that wet sensation on your chest, tummy and thighs ISN'T rain water. (ow again)

4) Red mite are indestructible and laugh at humans

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 08:53:59 am »
No apples, no plums, no strawberries, blighted outdoor tomatoes, birds well fed with red and blackcurrants, no potatoes, very late courgettes (now marrows), bloody Jerusalem artichokes everywhere, bolted lettuces. Two cars costing an absolute fortune to mend, death of two chickens and one cherry tree, red mite multiplying faster than rabbits. No pigs this year, and no holiday.

Awesome hydroponic tomatoes the size of footballs, fantastic hydroponic chillies,OH getting paid big bonus (yippee), raspberries coming out of our ears, sweetcorn looking good, finally getting round to making my house habitable - seem to have turned a corner.   :excited:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 09:14:53 am »
OH has dug up half a colander full of tatties yesterday - from 3 plants that's not bad considering the bad blight. I will harvest some tree spinach today, it looks phantastic in the tunnel and I hope it will taste as good! One lot of tomatoes has blight (the ones in the grow bag!), the other lot (moneymaker) is fine, maybe it's a blight resistant variety??
This summer I also remembered the suggestion by another member to make fresh pasta from too many eggs  :D - which has turned out to be a fabulous idea! Just to say I have too many eggs because - the hens are nesting free range and I can't sell the eggs I find  :rant:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 09:44:38 am »
I would say, poor weather, poor harvest and this morning a touch of frost :gloomy:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 09:45:26 am »
I will harvest some tree spinach today, it looks phantastic in the tunnel and I hope it will taste as good!

Tree spinach! I was given a plant recently - never heard of it before. How much space does it need? It's still in the pot while I'm trying to remember to find out more about it...

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 11:01:37 am »
Oh i also sadly had to put my beloved springer spaniel 'Rosie' to sleep..she went into renal failure and was very poorly..i miss her deeply ..its been two months now.. :dog:   :gloomy:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 11:30:40 am »
Alys Flowler wrote about it and as the hens had eaten the real spinach I thought I'd give it a go and bought seeds on ebay  ;D
Never thought they'd germinate but most did. If planted in warm nutritious soil (my tunnel seems perfect  ;D ;D ) they literally hit the roof and do branch out a lot. Poor soil and shade and they stay much smaller. I love the pink new leaves, so pretty. I'm sure it can be planted outdoors as an ornamental veg! Will cook some tonight ;D ;D
I will harvest some tree spinach today, it looks phantastic in the tunnel and I hope it will taste as good!

Tree spinach! I was given a plant recently - never heard of it before. How much space does it need? It's still in the pot while I'm trying to remember to find out more about it...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 02:52:14 pm »
Oh i also sadly had to put my beloved springer spaniel 'Rosie' to sleep..she went into renal failure and was very poorly..i miss her deeply ..its been two months now.. :dog:   :gloomy:

So sorry to hear about Heidi.   :hug:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 03:19:35 pm »
Alys Flowler wrote about it and as the hens had eaten the real spinach I thought I'd give it a go and bought seeds on ebay  ;D
Never thought they'd germinate but most did. If planted in warm nutritious soil (my tunnel seems perfect  ;D ;D ) they literally hit the roof and do branch out a lot. Poor soil and shade and they stay much smaller. I love the pink new leaves, so pretty. I'm sure it can be planted outdoors as an ornamental veg! Will cook some tonight ;D ;D

I think I'd best plant it in my multi purpose border (partly ornamental) - don't have indoors space for it. Let us know what it tastes like! Thanks for the info!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 03:15:41 pm »
now , this is an interesting veg! I expected it to behave like spinach when cooked but the leaves are much more substantial, more like kale. Quite tasty with feta and pasta, but less moist! Next time I'll either do a soup or a sauce with them I think. What I read about it that it should be cooked or steamed for at least 10 minutes due to some raw toxins. Then it become highly nutritious in protein,Vitamin C and minerals and could become much more important to the food landscape. It is also very good for diabetics, hear, hear! Should put it on Rusty's old thread on food as meds  ;) :&>

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 04:50:18 pm »
My meishans and rain, rain, rain
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS