Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Summer 2012 - what did it bring to you?  (Read 10494 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Summer 2012 - what did it bring to you?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 08:06:01 am »
Thanks for making me think of the successes, too, they are easy to forget.... " src="http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/Smileys/default/Ducky_Emoticon_by_Spikette2108.gif">

Yes - it was only writing on this thread that made me realise that - actualy - it's not been a total disaster  :D :thumbsup:  despite the wet weather
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 08:13:19 am »
A polytunnel  :excited: and a little ginger kitten  :love:

But on the down side I now know what tomato blight looks like  :-\
And the hens run needs much more wood chips than first thought as the last lot has disappeared in the mud!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:13 am »
 :thumbsup:  Good stuff, healthy litter of 10 piglets, successful procedure on back, polytunnel bursting with courgettes(marrows!) & toms at last, lovely flowers in baskets & pots, new weathervane, Dizzy pig winning a first prize.
 :rant: stuff - veg patch disaster, weeds, weeds & more weeds, rain & mud, FIL playing up, flytipping in our drive end, poachers, no pumpkins, soft fruit or orchard fruits, flies(never had so many), bumping the pick-up and not telling Oh but he found out coz i used araldite to stick the knocked off piece back on :innocent:

Not bad really!
Mandy :pig:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 10:50:37 am »
well march went well with lots of chicks it then went dawn hill iv still got grass to cut and the harvest hasent got going the ph is still 20 needs 16 to 17 so we need a window of wether for a week il just have a look                    WETHER SET TO INPROVING IN THE NEXT FUEW DAYS A GOOD WEEK NEXT WEEK

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 12:14:57 pm »

Husband has made huge improvements in his health  :) [size=78%]  [/size]

That's good news.   :thumbsup:

thankyou x
It is :D though the more he's out, the more he can spend... ;)
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 12:57:13 pm »

And the hens run needs much more wood chips than first thought as the last lot has disappeared in the mud!

I've given up on woodchips years ago - no chance! I now use all the pebbles I pick and dig up from the veg patch to throw them on top of the mud to create a stepping path. Works a bit better but not foever in this climate  :raining: :raining: :raining: :&>

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 08:47:08 pm »

Husband has made huge improvements in his health  :) [size=78%]  [/size]

That's good news.   :thumbsup:

thankyou x
It is :D though the more he's out, the more he can spend... ;)

Every silver lining has a cloud.   ;D

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »
RAIN,RAIN and more RAIN.!..although i did get ducks, rabbits and chooks!..  :raining:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »
well apart from it being the worst summer weatherwise, its been pretty good, ive met some great tas'ers caught some great fish, gained some new land, got a cracking wood pile sorted, the veg has been poor this year but ive sussed leeks and had a much better tomato harvest. so all in all quite good.

mcginty

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Tyrone, N.I.
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 10:38:22 pm »
Rain Rain and more Rain, lost three ducks to the fox, also three hens passed on.
On the bright side, broke Bob the horse to ride and drive, going fantastic.            We  are fencing a area of for a polytunnel, going to try our hand at growing fruit and veg.
Maybe a summer to forget. Weather wise anyway.
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 07:52:49 am »
Now officialy the worst summer for over 100 years  :raining:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 07:54:51 am »
Really????
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 07:57:10 am »
Is that because records started in 1912 or because they had an even worse time than us that year?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 08:17:46 am »
Sold lots of breeding stock to some lovely people. Great lambing (only lost one out of 56 lambs) then Coccidiosis, due to 'certain' weather conditions, when we lost six-four boys and two girls  :'( . Got treated to some three strand fencing by v kind neighbours who's land we graze (they felt sorry for us having to constantly move the netting) Grazing non-existent then we couldn't keep on top of it. Ewes and lambs perfect paddock interrupted by a swarm of feral bees! Grass was thigh high when they eventually got onto it  ::)
 :farmer: Loads of rhubarb, lettuce, herbs, beans, a few tomatoes and spring onions, sweetcorn coming along as well as chillies and peppers.
 :chook:  Got shot of a mass of chooks to a neighbour which has eased the load as I was giving eggs away (nobody wanted to buy F.R. anymore at £1.25 for a half dozen delivered!).  :chook:  Lovely Captain Bobbles (Tamest White Wyandotte) got pecked to death by the 'too many' cockerels we have. Our fault for not bumping them off for dogs dinners.
 :cat:  Lost our Pixie cat to a series of strokes.

The most knackering year yet, the only one which has made us wonder if we're cut out for the smallholding life  :thinking:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 08:22:02 am »
No complaints about our weather though a late frost means that we too have no fruit,
We had the usual sequence of family visiting us and usual disasters.
1. Grey water soakaway gave up - dug a new one.
2. Toilet failed the day 7 people arrived - found the septic tank under the lawn and the full grease trap beyond it - emptied it - YUCK.
3. Car broke down on the way back from a wedding ( still in the UK waiting repairs).

On the plus side we bred our first rabbits and are growing great melons for the first time. Most crops were good except the spuds were small due to little rain when they needed it. I also cut and hayled home enough wood to heat us should we have another very long cold bout. Oh and we converted an attic above our utility room into a workshop for winter craft work.

All in all a great time !
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS