Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Caravan upgraded to a Double Unit NOW COUNCIL SAYS PULL IT DOWN  (Read 15096 times)

Fruit of gods

• Joined Feb 2009
Hello all.
Please please help, if you can

This is to do with North East Lincs Council (they moved the green belt when they wanted to build)

Right,  My mums been living on a small holding for over 30yrs and after splitting from her partner, last year, has moved back to the small holding full time. Instead of flitting between te two homes.

My mum and her partner own the small holding and rented a shooting lodge. They used the small holding to provide the game birds for the shooting rights.
They have owned the small holding for 30yrs and have paid council tax for all but one year (due to finances)

Due to the old caravan having more leaks than cover, we bought here a double unit, with an apex roof added within the month to home the hot water tank and so on.

Now the council, or should I say one person in particular, has put a complaint forward and now wants the lot pulling down.

The first problem he says we have is the fact that the roof is over 10ft.....
he says it has to be reduced down to this.
I then said that I would dig down and lower the overall hight......
NO No NO was his reply
He then said that it was not a double unit but a single residence...!!!

Anyway, the bloke seems to be trying his hardest to be a prick.....And he is good at it ;D

Now they have told me that I may not have to do anything as te lot might have to come down..

Now I cant afford to throw money at the courts, let alone the time.
My mums 62 and getting prepared to rip the lot down and move out...

The land is registered as a small holding and animals have always been down here as well as a number of commercial incubators. 
The caravan she had previously had a large conservatory built on its side for over 9yrs which was permanent.
I thought that you were not allowed anything permanent otherwise you could get full permission if not complained about after 5yrs...

Anyway, as you can see, any help required and always offered.

Cheers

Sy

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Caravan upgraded to a Double Unit NOW COUNCIL SAYS PULL IT DOWN
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:16:42 pm »
There is a '4 year rule' where if you live in a dwelling for 4 years, receive post, have services connected etc and the council do not tell you to move then you have the right to stay there! its a grey area though and has been quoted recently in the press where folk have attempted to win this right, but they have hidden the dwelling from view, therefore not really entitled to stay, as far as I know if you live between 2 dwellings then the time is 10 years, I'm not completely clued up on this but will see if I can find any more details onit!

Fruit of gods

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:25:15 pm »
Thankyou for your input and thanks in advance for any further help.

My mums always been reg'd at the small holding and her partner regd at the shooters lodge.  Thats why in the 30yrs there has only been one years council tax not paid.

The double unit is still only for one person but is 2 x porta-cabins put together to form one half kitchen and living and the other, the bedroom and bathroom.

Just found on the web that the height has to be 10ft from floor to ceiling and is an internal measurement!?  god knows and the council guy seems to think that he is and he knows ::)

Cheers

Sy

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:47 pm »
Friends, many years ago, in Dorset, in a similar situation won their case because they had permanent live stock, and could prove they needed to live on the premises to protect and take care of the livestock.  Might a little article on local radio, and local paper help?

We moved to France because bungalow bought by property speculator had an overhang over our fence, was a fire hazard (which we did manage to do something about) and despite promises from the council that they would make him remove it all, they decided as he had got so far, it was a shame to make him change it.  (He had worked for the planning dept. for a few years although at the time was a manager for a building firm).  My point is that if you stick it out and keep fighting you will probably win as they dont want (probably cant afford) court cases where they might lose.

Good luck.

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:40:14 pm »
Theres 2 retired farmers with 30 years each of farming behind them that have a consultancy for planning and anything smallholding connected - ive been on there website once and they advertise in a colour ad in all the self sufficeincy magazines. They might be worth a phone call - im looking through old magazines now and will do again tonight to see if i can find there details.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:42:17 pm »
A womann in our village was in the same predicament. The council refused her retrospective planning application for her double unit, she appealed to the scottish government and won!!!
Her home has been given planning consent.
If your mum is of pension age then they should qualify for legal aid, she did!!!
I think the rule is if the home owner can prove that they have been there for 10 years the they can stay.

But.....to be fair, some of these caravans and double units can be an eyesore, so maybe clean it up, wood panel it, paint it so it blends in. Thats what the woman did!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:32:32 pm »
Don't guess. Get a good planning consultant used to dealing with rural matters. It will be worth it if they win your case.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 08:37:22 pm »
Well worth going to the citizens advice bureau for some free advice initially, they'll certainly point you in the right direction.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:00:09 am »
And please keep us all informed as to how it goes. 

Fruit of gods

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:37:19 pm »
Thanks for all your input and will keep you updated..got the meeting on Monday.  Have emailed the council guy but no reply again and again.

Thanks again for all your quality feedback and showing that this site is more than just good information but good people as well.

Cheers

Sy

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 02:31:24 pm »
Good luck

Carole

Fruit of gods

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 03:24:15 pm »
Not got any more info as yet and have been emailing the council bod for the last 4 days with no reply....typical

Got the meerting on MOnday and have found out thaqt the same guy had raised issues with 2 other properties in the village with regards to the sites being untidy..
These people had expensive lawyers and have both received letters of appology.....this is the same week that our local MP has been suspended for taking 16k for his mortgage...even though itsd been paid..

It must be about time we kicked most of these tits out.....

I am not the most political but am seriously tempted to start my own party that is completely voluntary.

Centralise the whole expenses thing to let people submit their expenses and have people who went to contribute not have an easy ride...

NOW I know this is stereo typing and that some of those involved are involved for the right reason and can hold their heads high...but this is very few and im sick of being taken for granted and fleeced at every opportunity.

This country could be great but not while we are going in this direction

I dont believe in any of the current parties as they seem to all be singing from he same hymn sheet. Or very close

Why dont we work on a local basis  and ge the people that are involved in the issues to be elected to speak for the greater common.

Not trying to re-invent the wheel just love this country b ut seem to get treated more like an individual with his own rights everywhere else but here....,,,

We are very close to a dictatorship that only seems to promote those in the know or those who can pave their way with gold...

Right...

End of my little rant...but surelyt many others must feel the same and a the end of the day we are the drivers of this country and are unable to blame anybody else for our problems
BUT IF YOUR IN GOVERMENT YOU SEEM TO GET A TEFLON COVERING THAT MAKES THE  REST OF YOUR FUTURE RISK FREE< PROBLEM FREE AND CASH RICH>>>>>with our money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o ::) :sheep:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 03:59:38 pm »
You've got me on board!  I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm Treasurer for a National dog club and just see anyone try to get money out of me without good reason and without correct and timeous receipts!  No chance!  Only 'out of pocket' expenses are allowed - that is, just the same as for the Inland Revenue - if the expenses were paid out wholly and exclusively for the Club.  It's all very well saying, it's OK I will pay/have paid them back but they should never have got them in the first place!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 04:56:42 pm »
the dictatorship you speak of is very close NOW as you say ... but wait till after next year when the EU has complete control over us in the UK . The EU IS a dictatorship no question about it . It is run by the EU commission , an unelected body that dictates laws etc to the EU government .They MUST abide by the laws set by the commission and in turn they enforce those laws on us . Our whole system will be pulled apart , IE , no barriers on immigration , millions of people able to just turn up and live here , as has been happening for a number of years now . We are unable to sustain this invasion and the EU know it . They need to break the UK and they have very nearly done so . If you want to see what is really going on from businesses , local council , and then government , take a look at youtube clips of Brian Gerrish talking about Common Purpose , it should scare the crap out of any honest, democratic free thinking person . It, Common Purpose, and the EU , are about one thing ...control . Control of us the people and of food and fuel . I know this can all look a bit conspiracy theory ish .. but spend a few hours researching , and you will think very differently. Try another one ... google "new world order" or type it in to youtube . There are a few head case ones about , but ignore those and look at the serious ones. It all leads back to CONTROL. This really isn't me going off on a wobbly , think about how they can follow your movements now by mobile phone . They can tell where you are within a few feet , very soon all new cars will have the black box in that will tell them where you are , how fast you are going where you parked your car everything . You will get speeding/parking fines through the post like confetti. Sat navs also allow them to see where you have been etc. They will be checking emails , where you look on the internet , they want all your details on ID cards . The next step that is already being trialled in the US , micro chips instead of ID cards for humans . They are a runaway train  blasting downhill . When you read these things all together like this , you think "Oh God what a load of crap !!" well we already have to have complete proof of animal movement , individual passports etc , for cattle etc. They are just clamping down on every step of individual life and existence , and we allow it . It is about time WE said NO MORE !!!! WE ARE TAKING CONTROL BACK !!! The question is WILL WE ????????????????

Russ

G0MZS

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 10:50:08 am »
You changed the rules when you removed the first until and put up a double. Without a complaint or letter for over 4 years entitled the building to be exempt as long as you could prove it was used as a full time dwelling. Now you have put up a new structure the loop hole was closed.... I suspect you are going to lose this one but I do strongly advise you seek legal advice and the CAB is a must if you can't afford.

Good luck and make sure you take legal advise or they will try to blind you with science!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS