Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hello from county durham  (Read 3800 times)

Wellchare

• Joined Feb 2011
hello from county durham
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:02:57 pm »
hi there all, hope your all well.

my name is Simon i am married to Kelly and have a daughter called Ava she is 2, we have 2cats and a dog.
we have owned a house and lump of land for some time now and are going to be moving in to live the dream ha ha. never kept anything other than cats and dogs in past but we are looking to getting some chickens and possibly some goats oh yeah and my daughter would like some ducks, so i really need help here as i have no clue were to start so any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: hello from county durham
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:46:12 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:10:15 pm »
hiya! i hovver around the goat forum :o)

goats need good fencing, & good shelter, so make sure you have both in place before you buy them :o)

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:18:33 pm »
co/durham  where my OH's family is from welcome to the forum hope you get the info you want and dont forget to ask about anything and everything

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:12:09 pm »
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:59:25 pm »
Hello there from Sue in a very windy Worcestershire  :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:35 am »
Hi welcome, read everything you can on here.  If you are considering hens and ducks, are you going to eat them or just keep them for meat.  Have you considered guinea fowl and geese too?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 04:50:03 pm »
Welcome to the site from north Wales.  Good luck with stocking your land, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, whatever you decide to keep.  :wave:

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 03:10:52 pm »
Hi Simon and Kelly,

Nice to see someone else from Durham on the forum, i'm near Hamsterley forest. My wife and i moved in about two years ago so might be able to help out with local suppliers etc including feed and animals. I agree totally about the goats had them year one and they did cause me a bit of bother, they do make a good curry though. Send me an Email if you need a hand.

Rob.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:21:29 pm »
Hiya  :wave:

Noticed that you have just joined today - me too. 

You don't mention how much land you have, my parents kept goats when I was a child - my best piece of advise would be to make sure your fencing is well sorted!!!  Friends of ours swear by using electric tape fencing with their stock fencing - they don't care for barbed wire (the goats :D that is).  Also, be careful with your animal feed storage - metal dustbins or old freezers are brill for keeping out the rats etc.

I'm sure you will find some local contacts on this forum - take your time to plan it all out & enjoy.

Good luck  :pig: :chook: :dog: :bee:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:09 pm »
Hello!

I live in Central Scotland, and we keep mainly dairy goats, plus ducks and chickens.

There a quite a few gootkeeping folk in the Co Durham area, I can give you some contact names and numbers if you like for goatkeepers.

Good luck for the plans.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS