Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How accurate are pig tape measures?  (Read 6014 times)

kitchen cottage

How accurate are pig tape measures?
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:51:20 pm »
As against my tape measure my piglets are doing okay to go to slaughter at 25 weeks :fc:

I'm working out the killed weight as 72% of live weight.

The reason it matters is I only do one litter a year but do "pigs  in baskets" and need 18 kilos per pig for each basket.

I'm using a chart from the berkshire website (I've got Essex Pigs, call them saddlebacks if you want, I don't) and they are about a week ahead of that.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Re: How accurate are pig tape measures?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:08:10 pm »
Hi KC :wave:
I can't answer your question as have weight taped mine but they are not going off for a couple of weeks. I will tape them just before they go and see how accurate it is. I am sure there will be loads along to let you know the answer and I will be looking out to see what everyone thinks :-\

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 03:28:54 pm »
Hiya  :wave:

I don't have a pig tape, we do the measurement calculation ;
{girth(m) x girth(m) x length(m)} mulitplied by 69.3 = liveweight (Kg) :thumbsup: It's accurate enough for us  ;) The deadweights are never hugely different to what we expect - always within a couple of kilos.

Killing out percentages are harder to assume - unless you know it's going to be 72% (because that's what it's been consistanly with this breed, location, feed regime, weather etc) you'll probably find it varies a bit  :-\ It could be anything from 70% - 80%
I always kinda work on the assumption that I'll get around half the live weight back in actual cuts, joints, mince, packaged and ready to go etc - it's not exact but it works for me  ;)
So if it was me and I had 5 folk buying (18Kg) pigs in baskets, I'd be looking for around 180Kg total liveweight of pigs to go to slaughter (but I'd probably have a wee bit left over as it's not exact  :-[)

Hope that helps a bit ?
Karen

kitchen cottage

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:53:23 pm »
Thanks that helps a lot  :)

I'll do the girth thing.  Oh that I'd ever been knowledgeable enough to have a pig tape before!  A neighbour gave it to me.

Charlotte had 8 piglets, I'm keeping one and sending 7 to slaughter.  I have 15 "pig peeps" so should have enough because they are doing better than I expected.

Because I am with them everyday.... I don't seem to notice them growing and had "misplaced" my tape, so I was panicing! I found it in the boot of the car today and had a nice surprise with their size against the tape.

I'll try the length thing as well.

I choose 72 percent cos that seemed to be what the interwebby used!

Thanks again  ;D ;D ;D

kitchen cottage

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 03:59:46 pm »
I sent two tammy's to slaughter a few months back (raised for friends not mine) and they came back 68kilo's of actual meat.  I have bought in some Essex/Tammy crosses to fatten for Christmas  ;D

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 01:09:29 pm »
While it is easy getting a consistent girth measurement, the length can vary by as much as 10 cms depending on whether the pig's head is down (eating) or up (for a few seconds then off they rush again).   Which one is it meant to be, does anyone know?   Tamsaddle

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 01:16:42 pm »
I do mine head up  ;)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 02:13:56 pm »
we do head up; that way we are under not overestimating weight
wonder if i can weigh OH like that :roflanim: :roflanim: i'll try while he's sleeping
Mx

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 09:50:52 pm »
Whilst I have a tape measure, I am somewhat sceptical because it only takes the girth into account and as we all know the length varies from breed to breed ... and to a lesser degree litter to litter. Personally I can't see how it can give an accurate result for everyone all the time but the calculation I believe is more reliable.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 07:25:08 pm »
I've weighed some today that are going to market and put the weigh tape round them just to compare.  The weigh tape was 5kgs lighter than the scales  :) .  So quite accurate really. 

kitchen cottage

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 07:29:12 pm »
thank you  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS