Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you guess the age of a pig?  (Read 1967 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
How do you guess the age of a pig?
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:02:58 pm »
Hi everybody,
As u have my have guessed by now I got some new pigs at the weekend  :sunshine: anyway as I got them from a farm/auction but I don't know how old they are, plus I don't think there is much chance that I will either as they are x breeds  ??? . So having weighed them at approx 50kg I guess that they are around 4 months, to which I have now based there food intake on.

I am a little lost so all advice or guesses at WP's  'age the pig' competition would be most welcome

WP :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: How do you guess the age of a pig?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:20:40 pm »

Was their age not mentioned in the listing WP?  Do you have any idea what breeds they are - photos?  I'm guessing you've got them as youngsters for the freezer - if so it's their size/weight you'll need to go by & adjust their feed to this.

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: How do you guess the age of a pig?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:25:07 pm »
Aha - just seen your other thread - these are the pietrain x's?
Not sure what you mean by their registrations - x-breeds don't get registered, only purebreeds (if the animal is good enough).  Don't worry though they'll still taste good  :yum:   Just keep an eye on the weight for the abbattior  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS