Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stock fencing near a hedge  (Read 8433 times)

wildgarden

• Joined Aug 2012
Stock fencing near a hedge
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:14:59 am »
Hi there
Could anyone give me advice about erecting a new stock fence near a hedge.We have to sides of newly planted hawthorn hedge and two sides of mature mixed hedge.We have a local contractor cut/flail the hedge and banks every year. Should the new fence be put right next to the hedge to allow it to grow through or allow space between the hedge and fence say 1.5 m to allow the contractor to get the hedge cutter between them.Thanks in advance for your help.

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
Re: Stock fencing near a hedge
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:01 am »
I can't comment re the contractor, but definitely leave a gap in front of the new hedge or the livestock will eat it! (That's the voice of experience  ;) )

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:19:27 am »
if you have registered for Rural payment scheme be sure not to change the size of the field otherwise paperwork gets ...annoying!
Ian

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:02:48 am »
I can't comment re the contractor, but definitely leave a gap in front of the new hedge or the livestock will eat it! (That's the voice of experience  ;) )

They do but that keeps it trim  :thumbsup:   Then there's just the top to cut.

It might be best to consult the contractor about just where to put the fence so he/she can still get the machinery in.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:13:28 pm »

They do but that keeps it trim  :thumbsup:   Then there's just the top to cut.

It depends how new it is - ours was brand new bare root stock  :-[

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:49:04 am »
By the time you have to worry about the fence and the hedge intermingling - you'll probably be having to rip them both out again and redoing it anyway. ;)

Personally leave about 1.5 m either side - we have fences on top and next to original hedges - the major downer with the ones on the side is that sheep get on top of the hedge and jump the fences.   I am trying like you to do either side but its expensive and time consuming as you probably know.

Dunno if its any help - but as I can only afford to do one side at the moment I have put them on the side facing the previaling wind so that the hedge growth goes towards the blank side and not the new fence - I can then trim these easily.

Baz

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 02:53:19 am »
We were in a sceme to protect the hedges and leave a good gap and not graze etc etc for some kind of wild flowers and bird nesting and the such - but we decided that our sheep and ponies needed the food and we couldnt afford to fence it all off. :(

I still think there is plenty of room for flowers and birds here - but just not round the edges of the grazing fields ;=/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS