Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lime pointing of walls  (Read 13345 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Lime pointing of walls
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 07:04:05 pm »
Thanks for that L&M. Sounds like it may be complex to sort out over here properly. The native limestone is so weak that drilling it without a hammer action is necessary otherwise it shatters. We still have the frost problems, rain and generally more extreme temperatures. Perhaps I will leave it until my French is better!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10:19 pm »
Thanks for that L&M. Sounds like it may be complex to sort out over here properly. The native limestone is so weak that drilling it without a hammer action is necessary otherwise it shatters. We still have the frost problems, rain and generally more extreme temperatures. Perhaps I will leave it until my French is better!

This article might be useful, it does say it would apply to porous limestone as well as to more dense stone, obviously its for what worth but it is specific to historic french stone building.
Getting the old mortar out can be a headache if someone has used pure cement; having said that it will <eventually> crack all your stones if left so you might decide it may be worth the power tool risk!
http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-renovation/displayarticle.asp?id=31155

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 07:41:00 pm »
beeck make a fixative /primer for soft stone that 'mineralises' to form a harder more weatherproof surface for soft stone. i think its cxalled bs-plus

yup
http://www.cornishlime.co.uk/pdfs/Beeck%20BS%20Plus.pdf
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:44:20 pm by deepinthewoods »

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 08:38:46 pm »
I like the exterior walls shown above.

We have rather a lot of outside walls to point up but opted for a "pierre reveal" on the inside. We did point p some big cracks with cement but basically we chose some stones at random NOT to cover in lime morta and used a brush to soften the edges around the "stone revealed". The stone is granite so we used a copper wire brush to clean up any revealed stones. Below is our bedroom wall in the old attic grannary - the other side of the wall is the inside of a barn. We discovered some small holes in the walls put some transparent plastic in to make windows so that we can see the nocturnal wildlife in the barn. Unfortunately we are always too sleepy to peer thru them.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:41:16 pm by MAK »
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 10:37:03 pm »
That looks VERY smart MAK and nice to have it broken up and given character by seeing some of those stones!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :trophy:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 10:24:37 am »
Nice to be able to have walls like that! 

We have just spent a lot of money putting thick insulation backed plasterboard in all our rooms on the external walls to try and make the place a bit warmer  :cold:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

deepinthewoods

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »
theres also a product called 'hempsulate' which is a highly insulative lime based render. 300\ton tho...

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 06:31:53 pm »
We too had to insulate , plasterboard then plaster between roof beams and 3 outside walls. The wall we did ( see above) is a meter thick at ground level but a bit thinner in the loft - the barn is the otherside of that. We probabley do loose a lot of heat thru it but then in summer it may help cool the bedroom. We put 3 double radiators in it that the logburner heats. But - if it gets really cold this winter we can always move to a different bedroom below.
I have bought a cement syringe to use when I start pointing up outside. Essentially it is a large mastic gun - the tube is a plastic drainpipe that is filled with cement - it comes with different nozzels that helps you squirt in between stones. Works OK but it is a fag having to keep loading up the tube when you are working up a ladder.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS