Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Happy news  (Read 9561 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Happy news
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:35:22 pm »
Hopefully some happy news, Springer Spaniel due pups in about 3 weeks.
All seems normal and whelping box is at the ready  :fc:  she uses it as she likes to be  :sofa:
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Happy news
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:56:43 am »
Can't wait to see pics  :excited:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:40:43 am »
Yay! I love springers - have got 2 (sadly lost 1 a few weeks ago). 

Good luck with everything!

Helen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:14:47 am »
Good luck - hope everything goes well :fc:

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:12:19 pm »
Thank you all for the good wishes, we've got about 7 to 10 days to go.
What advice would you give me on the run up to whelping or indeed for the actual whelping.
She's been scanned by my sheep man, but I haven't taken her for an x ray as other internet research gave me some doubts about how good it was for the puppies long term. Consequently don't know exactly how many to expect.
How ever many there are we can feel them moving.  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:16:57 pm »
well what worked for me   :roflanim: :roflanim: was wait until they are born  they way you are not counting chickens     well you get the drift :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 08:17:55 pm »
Excellent  :thumbsup: I loved our Springer, Sam, even if he was completely bonkers  :love:

Yes, x-rays not good for babies of any description.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:44:14 pm »
Thank you all for the good wishes, we've got about 7 to 10 days to go.
What advice would you give me on the run up to whelping or indeed for the actual whelping.
She's been scanned by my sheep man, but I haven't taken her for an x ray as other internet research gave me some doubts about how good it was for the puppies long term. Consequently don't know exactly how many to expect.
How ever many there are we can feel them moving.  ;D
Yes, quite right, x-rays not good for embryos.  Didn't your sheep man know how many there were?  Even approximately?  Mine always does - he's spot on accurate, far more so than any vet, and he's willing to tell you too, which vets won't (in case they get sued for giving you the wrong number  ;D)  That can be useful in case one gets stuck, or she hasn't the energy to get the last one out or t a placenta is left.  You'd need a jab of oxytocin for her if that happens - but it is rare.  Let your vet know her due date if you haven't already in case you need his advice.

Have you got a special place for her to whelp in - preferably in a semi dark place and with roll bars along the side to prevent her squashing them?  If not it's not too late - you could make holes in a cardboard box and insert dowels slightly longer than the sides.  Use newspapers to line it and encourage her to use it as a bed from now on, maybe with her own bedding in there for the moment.  She'll scrabble up the newspaper when she's in the second stage.  Have small pieces of towelling ready to hold the pups as they come out as they will be very slippery.  f this is her first litter she may [panic so you may have to help - when each pup is born make sure the head end of the sac is opened so the pup can breathe, then try to leave her to the rest.  Don't let her eat too many placentas as they do make them squitty.  You may need to sever the cord, but tear it gently rather than cut it with anything sharp. If you need any advice when I'm on here you are very welcome.  Enjoy the experience - it is fascinating, and good luck.  Just one last thing - don't let her push for longer than an hour without seeing any result, phone your vet at that point - day or night, it could be crucial and he'll give you best advice.  And don't forget photos! :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 10:04:28 pm »
Observe her labour from a distance as sometimes owners too close or staring puts them off the job of pushing. They tense and things can slow down.
If things seem slow and nothing after an hour a short  few minutes drive in a car can stimulate contractions and birth. But as doganjo says if nothing soon after this then phone a vet.

If your practise is large or uses other out of hours service, contact them to let them know the due day a day or so before hand and that it is your first time so may be ringing during labour for advice.  Also check if they use different premises for out of hours so you are familiar with where to go before any problems start and you get stressed. ( it is natural  :relief: )

All this covered then you are sure to sail through without any problems (  but we want to see the piccies  ;) )

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 11:12:43 pm »
I've made a whelping box out of plastic cladding so that it's wipeable. She goes in no problem but sneaks out to her usual place behind the sofa given half a chance. Scan showed 4/5 but he couldn't give a certain count, though he's bang on with sheep.
It's her first time and mine with a dog, I'm working on the theory it's like sheep but smaller and no putting hands in (phew).
This is where the forum is a help because you can read and watch video 'til your blue in the face but input here can give a bit of confidence, shouldn't have read all the things that can go wrong!
Looking forward to seeing them now she certainly looks ready to give birth.
Does anyone take temp to watch for this drop as a sign or at that stage will it be obvious anyway?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 11:17:10 pm »
The temperature drop is not always accurate. They can go off their food but again not accurate. Just watch for change in behaviour in general. She will know when the time comes, and you wil know not long after her  :excited: cannot wait myself now  :excited: keep us updated  :excited:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 07:37:54 am »
Good luck, hope it all goes well.
I have had them take for ever and I have also had them eat dinner and then pop a pup out 10 minutes later  ::)
I am keeping my  :fc: that our silver dapple Mini Dachshund has taken, she is nearly 4 and not had a litter yet. She has a long way to go yet though as only mated her to our chocolate and tan dog on the 17th
Graham

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 07:58:00 am »
If you do feel you have to sever the cord use a well disinfected thumb and middle finger nail using a "chewing" action to mimic the bitch's own. If a first litter you may need to help the first pup out by gently but fairly firmly gripping the head with a piece of old towelling, as said, when the head is delivering and using a slightly downwards hold. Don't pull! Just hold so that the head doesn't go back in.
I'm sure everything will go smoothly. A few weeks afterwards the fun really starts ;D  When the pups are up and running!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 07:50:28 pm »
and don't panic Moley - we're all here if you need us  ;)  We'er all  :excited: too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 08:23:55 pm »
ooh hope everything goes ok!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS