Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Migrating Microchip in dogs  (Read 5443 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Migrating Microchip in dogs
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:19:31 pm »
I did the Course on Sunday and recieved my equipment today.
I was playing with the scanner (like you do) scanning the dogs to discover Paddy's (Irish wolfhound) Microchip wasnt in the usual place. After 3 attempts I have finaly picked it up three quarters of the  way down his left front leg  :o Its 3 years ago since he was chipped and TBH he has had no reason to be scanned in that time.
Does anyone else have any experiance of migrating chips and do they finaly stop or can it keep moving ? Just going to ring pet detect to ask them but thought I would ask you lot aswell.
I am a bit concerned that it may cause a problem if it gets down into his foot or something
Graham

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Migrating Microchip in dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:53:59 pm »
Microchips often migrate to different areas. There is no risk of harm. The idea is to inject lower than the shoulder blades so once inserted, the chip sits between the blades and settles into the tissue. With small animals, or wriggly animals  ( or even inexperienced injectors ) the chip can settle in slightly wrong area.
It is always advisable not to 'feel'for the chip for a week or two post injection to prevent disturbing it and causing migration, but if it does,well, don't worry, many migrate.

The problem can arise if the animal is lost and the person carrying out the microchip check only scans the shoulder area instead of the whole body.  More training courses are becoming available and more people are becoming aware of whole body checking. Soon I hope it will be routine and general knowledge.  :thumbsup:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:04:23 pm »
Thanks I was aware that they can move and we where shown to put it between the shoulder blades. I was just a bit concerned that Paddy's (not chipped by me) could end up right at the bottom of his foot and seeing the size of the chips it could end up being uncomfortable if it did
Graham

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 03:34:57 pm »
Once again the advert associating itself with this post made me smile.
Do you all see the same one?

GPS tracking for fleet vehicles
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:36:02 pm »
How long ago was he chipped? It only usually takes a few weeks to settle into one position and become sort of fused within the tissue in that area

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:38:49 pm »
He was done at 10 weeks old so its 3 years ago since he was chipped
Graham

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:40:21 pm »
My Cador was chipped as a puppy & it migrated to the top of his leg during the first year. He is now 14 &  1/2 & it is still there.
Rose

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:10:24 pm »
 I wouldn't think it would   move much further. It is very unlikely to migrate now. It most likely migrated within the first few weeks of being done. If he was done young sometimes it's position is altered as the pup grows, especially if it wasnt between  the shoulderblades to start with.

Try rescanning in a few months again. You'll most likely find it still in that position.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:37:09 pm »
I was speaking to a vet friend about it and she said most vets do scan down the shoulder and leg as that's where most end up.  I did read that they have got better over the years but don't know how true that is.  I've had mine done but never checked since.

Helen

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 07:58:41 am »
Thanks everyone for the replys.
I have scanned all of the other dogs and they are still in place so paddy's is the only one to move. I will keep scanning him periodicly just to make sure it has settled.
I did ring pet detect and they have said the same as you guys but they are supprised its gone so far down the leg  ::) normaly they say it settles at the top of the leg
Graham

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 05:54:10 pm »
My springer was chipped as a puppy. His chip migrated to his shoulder/top of leg and has caused him no trouble. He is coming up to 10. I must admit I was quite concerned when I first felt this lump until I realised what had happened.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »
They can also come back out of the insertion hole and be lost,
A vet once demonstrated to me that if you lay two chips side by side you will get a different reading , then reverse the direction of one of them and get another reading , if you break one in half , then no reading at all , all open to abuse by dog thieves. :thinking:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 07:24:25 pm »
My lad developed a lump over the original implant site at 10 months.  My vet decided it was best to remove it, and re-chip if necessary.  He discovered that the lump could have grown and that the chip had dropped below his shoulder.  I used to tattoo my puppies and I wished he had been done.  I would really prefer tattooing.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 11:12:27 am »
Just had my pups at the vet for tail docking and we got onto chipping because the legal docking form he gives you  has a section to be filled in when the chipping is done.
He's removed chips from between the toes. Obviously if it gets that far down the leg it can cause lameness.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 09:17:47 pm »
Just had my pups at the vet for tail docking and we got onto chipping because the legal docking form he gives you  has a section to be filled in when the chipping is done.
He's removed chips from between the toes. Obviously if it gets that far down the leg it can cause lameness.
Thats what my fear is. I will just keep an eye on it and get into the routine of scanning him every couple of weeks to see if its still moving
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS