Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Onion skin dye  (Read 6464 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Onion skin dye
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:14:37 pm »
I have just finished the onion skin dyeing.  The yarn on the left is from the first dye bath and the other from the exhaust bath.
I have been collecting the skins for a few months and they were a mix of red and white skins which I boiled up first and then strained to get rid of any bits of skin before using the mixture to dye with.
Both skeins were both mordunted with 8% alum and 6% cream of tartar.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

Re: Onion skin dye
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:22:39 pm »
They look brill Sally  :excited: What are you going to make with them ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »
Very nice  :thumbsup:

Is this yarn you have spun yourself?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:26:20 pm »
Unfortunately I didn't spin this myself. Gosh would I be pleased with myself if I could spin that evenly.
I bought the undyed skeins at Wonderwool Wales. It was a special offer and cost me £10 for 1,000 grams so I was well chuffed.  It was cheap enough for me to be able to experiment.

Karen, I have started knitting  :knit: a fairisle tank top from last months Simply Knitting magazine. Its supposed to be for a man but that doesn't matter.  I will change it about, colour wise, as I haven't dyed enough of any one colour to make up the whole of the body. I suspect it will look a bit like Josephs coat of many colours when I am finished.  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 07:16:22 pm »
Hi Bionic - they're lovely and look very satisfying hanging there.  What weight of skins to wool did you use?  My bag of skins is nearly full but will only dye a small amount I think.    :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 08:15:37 pm »
Fleecewife,
My book said 200% of skins to yarn. I would never have collected that much in 100 years.  Having looked at some u-tube videos I realised other people are using much less. 
I have a big, cheap, preserving pan that probably takes about 12 litres of liquid. The onion skins filled it to just under half way and then I just added water and boiled away. I then let it cool because I wasn't ready to use it but when I did use it I didn't use all of the dye lot. I did the dyeing in a 9 litre pan (another cheapie) and 200grams of wool and dye came up to just over half way.  When I did the second batch I did add some more of my dye liquid to it but I still have some dye left that I haven't used.

I hope I haven't made this sound more confusing than it was but the upshot of it is that I don't think you need as many onion skins as the books would indicate.  You can see that I got a nice strong colour.

Sally

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:01:03 am »
Thanks Sally - that's encouraging, although I still have a way to go.  I'm about to crop my shallots so maybe there will be more skins there.  I still have my jumper to finish - I'm at the yoke - then the sparkley shawl, then I can think about how best to use onion-dyed yarn  :knit: :knit: :knit: .   I think I have been overwhelmed by seeing my Japanese friend's onion jumper - it's amazing, lots of yellow shades, with a subtle pattern of onions all over.  I feel like such a country bumpkin when I see her and her amazing spinning, dyeing and knitting  :gloomy:   She made a jumper with an all-over pattern of many breeds of sheep with, yes, you've guessed it - every sheep breed was knitted in its own wool.  Utterly unique, completely amazing and I have no chance in this life of producing anything even one hundredth as clever.  I do have my own sheep though which she can't  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:08:46 am »
Wow, FW, those jumpers sound amazing!  :knit: :o

I don't suppose you have any pictures...  :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:15:04 am »
Not of the sheepy one - she wore it at the Royal Highland Show one year.  I did have a pic of the onion one  :thinking: ..... :thinking: ...... :thinking:  ....no, no idea where that is now although I do tend to hang onto things like that.  She may have a website - I'll google and see (bound to be in Japanese  8) )

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 12:17:09 am »
She wouldn't have them as projects in Ravelry, would she?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 12:40:25 am »
Hi Sally. Couldn't find her by googling - there is someone with the same name who is a researcher so lots of articles but not her, and I found her husband but no link to her.

I'll pm you her name (not fair to put it on here) and you could check on ravelry.  She has been living in England for the past few years but will be back in Japan now.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 11:48:01 am »
Fleecewife,
If you do find any of the pics of your friends jumpers I would be interested too.  Mind you they sound far too complicated for me but I can still enjoy looking.  ;D
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 12:14:55 pm »
So far neither of us have been able to track this clever lady down on the interweb, so we're in FW's hands in terms of turning up pics. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:30 pm »
It's time I emailed her anyway  :)   Don't hold your breath though............

I weighed my onion skin collection this morning--------------> 2 5/8 oz  ::) :roflanim:   It's taken me months to get to that  :turkey:

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 05:15:50 pm »
FW, sounds like your Japanese friend has amazing crafty hands! I'd also love to see pics of these jumpers, especially the sheepy one  :sheep: (typical of me, meat over veg)

In the internet grapevine I have heard of somebody who made a cushion with a sheep pattern (I think it was intarsia, but not sure) and I was thinking to adapt it myself, changing the colours of the sheep and knitting them in their own breed's wool. How I'd love that!
Of course clever me I was using somebody else's PC and didn't think to write down the link  ::) Not much luck in trying to find it again with Google. I might just have to creat my own.

:knit: :knit: :knit:

Not much time to knit or spin these days, but my mind is always keen to hoard ideas!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS