Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stinky ducklings - how do you do it?  (Read 6499 times)

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
Stinky ducklings - how do you do it?
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:35 pm »
Evening everyone,

I have hatched 4 lovely runner ducklings.
Now previous routine had been they stay under heat inside for a few days 24 hours a day. Then as warm they spend daytime outside evenings in.
Now they are 10 days old and happily living in a rabbit hutch in the garden, it is in the sun during the day (not too hot though) and the sleeping compartment has a seperate box inside covered in a towel so no cold from outside is on their sleeping walls.

Anyway down to the point - they STINK! I clean them every day. Have tried woodchip, soil, hay, grass clippings and a mix thereof.
They have a painters tray with water so they can learn to swim, they poop in it and splash it EVERYWHERE, all over the bedding etc... I am sure this is usual behaviour but how do other people manage it?

I have my chickens on a deep litter method and it is AMAZING, but I don't think this will work with the water.

Any suggestions?

Thanks WF
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Stinky ducklings - how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43:27 pm »

Water seems to be an endless problem with ducklings - they just spread it everywhere.

I gave up giving them anywhere to swim at that age (I saved that until they got outside), and instead gave them a large drinker made from a 5 litre bottle stood on a plant tray.  This in turn was stood on top of a large tray covered in mesh, so that the water they invariably dabbled out drained into the large tray (which they couldn't get access to), and hence didn't end up all over the bedding.

I'll not pretend this was perfect, but it was way better than the last time we had them.  I'd be interested to hear what other folks do though!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43:47 pm »
Because they make so much mess mine only get drinking water until they are a bit bigger.

My only thought re the smell is possibly charcoal sprinkled amongst the bedding to help absorb some of the water and smell
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »
When did you put them outside and when can they join the flock?
OUr 7 week old duckling is MASSIVE with full feathers. It is bigger than the chickens but they still beat it up when they are in the garden. They are in the same coop but separated by mesh at the moment.
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

secuono

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:32:21 am »
They should be on wire in a hutch far from where you can smell the nasty. A solid floor and ducklings never works.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:20 am »
We use seed trays to introduce the ducklings to water BUT these are rinsed and filled with a water can outside. The duck bath is covered over so that the ducklings do not drown and the adults climb up into one of those plastic sandpits that we fill with water and have steps made of house bricks to help the little ones.
Our problem is that the mums are very protective of their ducklings and will go for other ducklings that try and join their brood.  - More complicated by 2 mums sharing one brood and getting very nasty. I killed one of the spare mums the other day and now we have a more tranquill garden.
Smell - sure  when it is hot and no rain to wash away poo but generallythey are OK if you don't keep them locked up in a hutch.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:46:19 pm »
Hi,my layers are in a run with a sloped concrete base it is sloped towards a central 4' X 2' x 2' pond.There hut has a wooden slatted flaw with gaps between the slats for the poo to run through.They have lift out fruit boxes filled with shavings for nest boxes in there hut.The hut is also stood on the concrete plinth.
Every day I wash it all with a hose pipe into the pond.There is a pump in the pond that pumps all the dirty water onto my raised beds.There is a brick edge round the base to stop the mess going over the sides.
The growers and fatteners are all out in my orchard with no access to water other than for drinking,with my geese.

Graham.

Graham.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:39:03 pm »
Yep, they do just stink and you do just have to clean them out a lot. Actually, the best thing I found when they were 'largish ducklings but still indoors' was sand. Just scraped off the top, dirty layer daily. It stunk a lot less than shavings etc.

I keep mine in the kitchen when they're tiny and the hall when they're bigger  :D Might be connected to my single status  :roflanim:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:13 pm »
Hi,my layers are in a run with a sloped concrete base it is sloped towards a central 4' X 2' x 2' pond.There hut has a wooden slatted flaw with gaps between the slats for the poo to run through.They have lift out fruit boxes filled with shavings for nest boxes in there hut.The hut is also stood on the concrete plinth.
Every day I wash it all with a hose pipe into the pond.There is a pump in the pond that pumps all the dirty water onto my raised beds.There is a brick edge round the base to stop the mess going over the sides.
The growers and fatteners are all out in my orchard with no access to water other than for drinking,with my geese.

Graham.

That sounds interesting - any piccies of your set up?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:53 am »
Hi,hear is some pics of me making it,the first shot shows the hut with a wire bottom I didn't like that much.You can also so the first pour of the concrete base the concrete falls away to the right and forward.I have since done a second poor in front of that the same size and sunk a plasterers bath in the ground as a pond.I cut the pond into the second base as an after thought for some where for all the water to collect deep enough to pump away.Originally I was just scraping it and it stunk.
Due to me adding the pond to concrete on the second plinth has cracked up and the levels were also wrong so have gunned that back out so still WIP,this is now MK5.

In the second pic I have since replaced the wire flaw with wooden slats,I have also moved them closer together they are now only 12mm-1/2" apart and the wire mesh removed.I use the same house for my chickens and ducks the only difference is the chicken house has a lift off nest box.All the birds also benefit from the extra ventilation,and good by to wood shavings.Hardly any cleaning out,no wood shavings less and more concentrated waist.
Graham.

Graham.

Ducknose

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 11:06:33 am »
If I'm not mistaken that's been put together with R2 turbo golds ;-)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 11:48:55 am »
Hi,yes they are a loverly fixing aren't they.I find they don't corrode in like like a lot of other screws.So are also good for modifications which I do regularly,almost weekly it seems.
The R2 is from tool post and the turbo golds are from screwfix but both are basically the same.
Yes I admit it I am a nerd. :excited:

Graham. ;D
Graham.

Ducknose

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »
You have an amazing level of understanding when it comes to premium fastenings ;-)  :innocent:

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 12:40:10 pm »
Hi,sounds like I'm speaking to a fellow expert, :thumbsup:.
What part of the country are you from.You use the same terminology as some one I know.

Graham.
Graham.

Ducknose

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 12:44:04 pm »
I'm no expert, I just take advice from those who know but I'm pretty sure you he told me last week that the R2s come from tool station.  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS