Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens are making holes in the eggs  (Read 1833 times)

Liz M

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary
Hens are making holes in the eggs
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:48 pm »
I need help stopping the hens pecking a hole in the eggs. Usually one a day. Because of the dark and dismale days at the moment they are laying at different times of the day, but always one has a large hole in it.  I have ensured this isn't an unwelcome visitor, so need to just stop them before they decide to do it to all the eggs. Any help would be appreciated.  They eat really well so aren't hungry.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Hens are making holes in the eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:39:18 pm »
Hens often test the shell quality after laying by tapping them with their beak.  If your hens are just coming into, or going out of lay then shell quality may be poor.  You could try making sure they have access to limestone in some form ie oystershell grit, and also they need vitamins to help absorb the calcium so cod liver oil can give a boost.

Darkening the nest boxes by fixing a bit of old sacking or blanket half or 2/3 rds covering the next box entrance can help, or fitting rollaway nest boxes.  As you say once they beak punctures the actual egg and they get a taste they can become egg eaters.

Small holes can also be made by the claws on the toes, and the same remedies apply.  :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:45:11 pm »
I had exactly the same problem Liz M and followed DBE's advice. Worked a treat.

Liz M

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »
Thanks for this..... all that and have found it was a Magpie!!!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 05:32:22 pm »
Cheeky b^*€$¥ things, corvids!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS