Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Feeders and Drinkers  (Read 5906 times)

Sunshine78

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Angus, Scotland
Chicken Feeders and Drinkers
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:20:33 am »
Hi All

I am thinking about buying new feeders/drinkers for our selection of chickens but I don't know which ones are best.  There are a huge selection on some websites. 

To be honest I don't think our girls and one boy are actually too bothered about this but we have one push fit drinker that drives me mad :rant: because when I'm trying to get the base back on I either drop it and end up with soaking legs/feet or if I don't drop it I have water running down one arm to my elbow and then have a soaking sleeve, which isn't too bad in the summer but in the winter it's freezing :o

So do you have a preference for one design or does anyone make their own?

the great composto

Re: Chicken Feeders and Drinkers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:59 am »
For drinkers I wouldnt bother with anything other than something that holds water - my chickens drink from absolutely anywhere - buckets, bowls - anything.
For feeders I would now buy the metal ones they have to step on to open because I am fed up with feeding half the local rabble of starlings and their offspring.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:31:25 am »
For drinkers I wouldnt bother with anything other than something that holds water - my chickens drink from absolutely anywhere - buckets, bowls - anything.
For feeders I would now buy the metal ones they have to step on to open because I am fed up with feeding half the local rabble of starlings and their offspring.
I have drinkers that you fill upside down then twist but my hens seem to prefer the tubs of water I put in their pens. I put the tubs next to the houses to catch rain water off the roof. Not complaining about needing to fill them just now!!  :sunshine:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:35:39 am »
Feeders:  make sure you get one with a brim so when it rains your feed doesn't get all wet (bad for grain but particularly bad for pellets).  We don't use the step on types, I don't mind feeding wildlife, don't know how chicks would learn to use them either.
Water:  if you put it in tubs or bowls be careful as wild birds and hen's chicks can get in and drown (we have made this mistake - twice).  They drink everywhere as previous has said so probably a few shallow dishes around the place best and fill with rainwater.  If you do buy one make sure it's galvanised and won't go rusty, you don't want rust in the water especially if you put in a slosh of cider vinegar for their gut.

Don't buy the plastic type feeders or drinkers - they blow away in the wind when they're empty, useless. 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:44:11 am »
Mine too seem to prefer drinking from deeper containers than the conventinal water drinkers. The dog dishes are a favourite. I have one just outside the kitchen door which is always topped up so no worries there.

I am watching with interest on the feeder issue. mine is too light so Roger sometimes knocks it over. We might try hanging it from the roof of the chook house.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:05:48 am »
For drinkers you will need plastic if you want to add cider vinegar as you shouldn't put it in galvanised drinkers.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:34:40 pm »
http://www.solwayfeeders.com/categories/plastic-drinkers-c436.html                     DR0067      USED THE LOT THESE BEST BY FAR                                       BEST BET

SouthMains

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:17:42 am »
We always use the plastic drinkers which contain the water and allow only a small amount out for them to drink...my basis for this is that although chickens will drink form anything...everything the can drink is not necessarily good for them, if you use open containers then you risk having wild birds etc use this for bathing in which could potentially spread disease.  I know what you mean though about getting soaked when you fill them...why cant they just have a flip cap at the top which I could put a hose in...mmmm I might look into adapting mine to do this. 
As for the feed I have given up on the commercial available feeders as they are just to annoying, mine are fed undercover so I don't have to worry about the food getting wet (and the fact that within a very short time of putting the food out it is all eaten!) So I have found that the bets feeder for me is a length of guttering pipe screwed onto some blocks of wood, this lets me spread the food out along the pipe so all the hens can get it at the same time

the great composto

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:38:30 am »
I know what you mean though about getting soaked when you fill them...why cant they just have a flip cap at the top which I could put a hose in...mmmm I might look into adapting mine to do this.

Surely the flip lid adaption on the water wont work because you will lose the benefit of the pressure which keeps the water from flooding out like a hole in a bucket.

So I have found that the bets feeder for me is a length of guttering pipe screwed onto some blocks of wood, this lets me spread the food out along the pipe so all the hens can get it at the same time.

Good idea - i may try to 'adapt' that to add a piece of guttering on top which flips opens as the chickens stand on a platform like the commercial ones do.   Just trying to keep the sparrows off.

Sunshine78

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 03:12:01 pm »
Hi All

Thanks for the very helpful advice and suggestions.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 09:15:36 pm »
We use the green plastic range as the cheaper red range are rubbish. Be careful with heavy drinkers -if you put them down too hard the legs break. Galvanised are attacked by ACV and glass jars break in frost, which is a disaster in a chicken run!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS