Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding breeding poultry and broodies  (Read 4238 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Feeding breeding poultry and broodies
« on: August 12, 2012, 02:37:49 am »
We have three broodies sitting just now. What's the best thing to feed them - layer pellets or something else?

Also breeding poultry - we've acquired a few pure breed birds. What should I be feeding them? Are layer pellets bad for cockerels? Should I feed them something different in spring/summer and autumn/winter?

Thanks.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: Feeding breeding poultry and broodies
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:27:54 am »
Broodies will eat very little layers pellets are fine better to leave them ad lib so they can get them as required.

Not aware of layers being bad for cockerels but i do try to hatch first ones early (Feb/ march) so i give breeders pellets (slightly higher protein 17/18% or so) (to all birds in the breeding pens for about a month before and during) and that seems to improve fertility

Also a little poultry spice and any other green tit bits help also
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:29:26 am by Big Light »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 08:36:59 am »
Thanks, Big Light

We do give the broodies ad lib layer pellets, because we never know when they will want to feed  :thumbsup:

I've bought breeder pellets but I think I've bought them at the wrong time of year since there doesn't seem to be much breeding going on  ::) I'll just use them up for the layers, since they'll be out of date by spring.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the calcium in layer pellets for good shells could cause some sort of stones/ blockage in cockerels but the breeding hens will need calcium too, so maybe I just dreamt it  :eyelashes:

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 08:41:58 am »
Never had any problems with layers but there's always some one with a story somewhere - would think they would have to put a warning on the bags if that was the case

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:18:32 pm »
mix some boild egg and macviti biscuits up they love that

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:06:05 pm »
I read somewhere to feed broodies on mixed corn. It said that it was digested more slowly than layers and so the hen basically didn't poo as much ..... hence less chance of dirty eggs. Not sure how true this is but tend to feed my broodies mostly corn and they seem fine.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:34:20 pm »
We feed our broodies in just mixed corn  i was under the impression layers pellets caused them problems.

Never heard about not feeding layers pellets to cockerels before and have never had a problem. However, i do seem to do everything wrong when it comes to rearing poultry - well, if you read the books but obviously my poultry don't either lol

Helen

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 07:16:09 pm »
I run about 60 broodies and I never give any of them layers pellets.

Just think it through. Your feeding pellets to push them to lay more eggs. The broody isn't laying.
Where do you think all the extra calcium is going if shes not producing eggs and useing it up.

To her kidneys and liver.

Feed wheat or mixed corn. She will not crap as much for a start and she will get more than enough protein from that. A very small amount of greens (clover is best) placed in front of her will keep her happy.

Make absolutley sure she is free from lice and mites or she may come off.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 08:27:12 pm »
Just think it through. Your feeding pellets to push them to lay more eggs. The broody isn't laying.
Where do you think all the extra calcium is going if shes not producing eggs and useing it up.

That was the thinking behind my original question. I fed one on corn earlier in the year then worried that it might not be enough for her. Back to the corn then :-)

CF, any problems feeding layer pellets to cockerels?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 08:49:09 pm »
Castle farm is spot on. Don't give a broody layers pellets, they are only for laying hens. We feed rearer pellets and when the chicks hatch give her only chick crumb. We find grain isn't digested because perhaps of her lack of movement. Good point about lice and mites. They need to be completely free of them well before the hatch.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 11:03:53 pm »
None of my birds get any pelleted feed Rosemary.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS