Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you stop them jumping up?!  (Read 9245 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
How do you stop them jumping up?!
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:37:19 pm »
Didn't have this issue with last years bottle lambs but this years texelXSuffolks have taken to jumping up when we are plum picking (like a badly behaved dog might for a titbit). They are hefty boys already and it hurts me so I'm keen to break this bad behaviour before they deck one of the kids!
I've tried doing a swift step so they just fall to the ground, tried pushing (but don't want them to think I'm encouraging rough tussle behaviour) and a sharp, firm NO! but is there a tried and tested method I should follow please?
they never did it as tiny lambs, little toads they are. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katyd1991

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: How do you stop them jumping up?!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 05:46:54 pm »
hi,
you cant stop them from jumping up.
male pet lambs can be nasty/turn into nasty rams, and the more you push back against them etc. the more they want to jump up.
katy :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:24:34 pm »
You could try a water pistol, with the firm NO!

Are they entire or wethers? Katy has a point, it was a petted tup lamb I bought that gave me a black eye as a shearing.

I'm not sure he meant any harm but he seemed not to make the usual distinction between people and sheep and therefore treated people accordingly - and for some reason he seemed to think I needed butting all the way across the field every day  :-\ Fending him off with a crook as yet again he attacked me, it got caught, flipped and cut open my eyebrow. Blood everywhere and the most amazing black eye. The kids at school were very impressed  ;)

So be careful and have the kids be careful too  :-*
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:26:37 pm by jaykay »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:30:02 pm »
Oh bum!! not good news.

they are castrated and there's 3 of them, only 2 have decided to jump. will get my water pistol out.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:55:50 pm »
They have to learn that they are sheep.  That means not petting them any more and not being in the field with them.  It seems mean, but by ignoring them you will reinforce that they are different.  Can you put them into a field away from you for a bit?

There is lots of discussion on other chat sites about whether or not you should smack them on the nose - it seems not to be a good idea as it seems like fighting to sheep, in which case if you smack them on the nose they will just smack you back.  We did once have a very pushy ewe lamb who as she grew got worse and would try to nose dive into the feed bucket in the winter.  She eventually got over it when we simply never let her have any food from the bucket, just from the trough.  We would turn our backs on her as you would to a naughty puppy and she would just wander off.  It was so tempting to go after her to say sorry  ::) ;D    She now belongs to friends and is a very happy not pushy sheep.
It is a shame when it has been such fun having them as cuddly lambs, but cuddly lambs do become big, smelly, pushy sheep, unfortunately.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 06:57:19 pm »
That's what I would call woolly jumpers, sorry but could not resist :excited:
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:04:38 pm »
So glad you asked this question Plums. Now I'm off to buy a water pistol tomorrow too.  I have a TexelxCharollais and he jumps up like a naughty dog ::) and it hurts!  I have also seen him on his hind legs balancing to get the low apple tree branches in the orchard.  Think he is destined for Britains Got Talent!!  I'll see if I can get him to twirl to music.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »
Plums, a couple of my Soay ewes jump up like dogs. They are only little sheep and it hasn't caused any problems yet. They weren't pet lambs and when we had them they were really nervous so its not just pet lambs that do it. My children are old enough not to get knocked over though.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:37 pm »
Some very helpful advice - thank you. Right from getting these 3 we avoided cuddling or being too soft with them (after that first day that is!) so I think its because we are plum picking and they are after plums. When the goat kid tried jumping up we were firm right from the start and now he never does it (had visions of a 14 stone toggenburg jumping up!) hoping the sheep will be fairly simple to break of the habit iwth the ignoring etc

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 07:57:34 pm »
I read somewhere that a punch on the nose is the key, it hurts them but isn't a 'challenge'.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 08:18:45 pm »
That's what I would call woolly jumpers, sorry but could not resist :excited:
:D  :D
Little Blue

khajou

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:58:47 pm »
We have a ram (4 horned jacob) that is 'nasty' - he spent some time in a friends paddock and kept jumping out. They were scared of him (understandably) so they tempted him back into the field with bread. The ram then decided that if he jumped out and threatened them they would reward him with a trail of bread back to the field. We brought him home and made a 'catching' pen by the gate as we needed a stick as protection to go into the field and put the hens to bed at night. In the pen we put a bowl of food and locked him in. We went about our business in the field and then let him out. After a while he started to put himself in the pen with no food! Now we can do anything we like with him.
I think it was because he was being rewarded for being 'naughty'. We only rewarded him when he was good.
He is now so well behaved that he is winning child handler competitons. :excited:

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:24 pm »
A tripto market or the butcher is the only cure. Sorry :innocent: :sheep:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:27:07 am »
A tripto market or the butcher is the only cure. Sorry :innocent: :sheep:

I'll threaten them with that and invest in a water pistol - see how we go  ;)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:34 am »
They aren't actually being aggressive, are they? I can understand that they might unintentionally hurt someone but really they are just jumping up for food.

If you stop feeding them for a while and maybe just clap your hands as they approach wouldn't they back off? I let mine jump up .... need them tame to catch the little tinkers and these very tame girls give the others confidence but if I did a bit of arm waving they would scatter. Or maybe some breeds wouldn't and would be more like the tup we hired  ??? . He was actually (for a reason .... his girls) aggressive though ... butting etc.[size=78%] [/size]

Butcher ... sounds a bit drastic.  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS