Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you stop them jumping up?!  (Read 9265 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: How do you stop them jumping up?!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:11:04 am »
I have a ram lamb (non bottle fed I might add!) who is a bit too friendly.  I treat him like a parent sheep would do, I give him a big shove on the shoulder to push him away and follow it up with a stern walk towards him, and repeat until he backs away.
You have to keep at it and be consistent.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:03:08 am »
Sorry about the butcher comment should have used a  :-J, you could try wearing chaps so their feet don't dig into your legs!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 11:36:27 am »
 ;D   ;D   ;D  Phew!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 03:29:56 pm »
Stop feeding them.  :P

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »
Definitely not jumping up with aggression but I think they just don't realise how mahooooosive they are now. They grew really fast (due to the breeding I guess!) and are twice the size of most lambs in the area of the same age  ;D
They just jump up for attention in a doggy way so we are being very vigilant and stepping away so if they try to jump  up, they miss haha!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 06:15:48 pm »
Definitely not jumping up with aggression but I think they just don't realise how mahooooosive they are now. They grew really fast (due to the breeding I guess!) and are twice the size of most lambs in the area of the same age  ;D
They just jump up for attention in a doggy way so we are being very vigilant and stepping away so if they try to jump  up, they miss haha!
Same here Plums - didn't get out for the water pistol today so the side stepping continues.  He has only tried once today anyway so its not really a big problem. They are further away from the house now they are weaned so spend more time doing sheepy things in the orchard!  :sheep: :sheep:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 07:41:28 pm »

Of course stopping Eloise from feeding them plums might help....

Pied piper?! Yes....quite likely the main problem. No more treats sheepies!

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 08:30:27 pm »
 ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:55 am »
love the photo ...
who's the little tubby one at the back, struggling to keep up with the sheep whisperer?!  :D
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 09:48:31 am »
Oh that's Nimble - she has to walk next to me whatever happens (even if she has to barge Tony out of the way to do so) so she was hanging back while I took the photo!

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:46 am »
I have the problem with my ewes, especially those I've had since young.  They all crowd me if they think I've got food and some will jump up, but if I wave my hands at them or act like I'm about to catch them they usually scarper  ;D .

With the rams it's different, they are friendly but also see me as fair 'butting' game which I don't want to be on the receiving end of!!  :o   I haven't yet tried the water pistol but so far my best defence is a length of thick blue water pipe, I've had to crack one particularly aggressive ram on the knees with it which stopped him dead in his tracks.  Now I just whack it on my leg (it makes a great sound  ;D ) if they are looking 'butty' and they keep their distance  :sheep:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS