Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: St Andrews Abattoir possible closure  (Read 4009 times)

ruives

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Arbroath
St Andrews Abattoir possible closure
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:13:32 pm »
I know I don't post much on the site but thought I should share this concerning news -

After hearing some rumours last week, I thought I'd ask the guys at St Andrews Abattoir this morning if it was true they were closing

The guy has said that it is likely they have under 18 months to go!

The owners have been offered a considerable sum of money from a hotel chain for the land

What will this mean to all of us who use these facilities?  Has anyone heard of a new place to be opened or is it a trek to either Dunblane or Inverurie?

Such sad news

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
Re: St Andrews Abattoir possible closure
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:40:15 pm »
I don't know if there is any organised action but writing to Fife Council, your MSP, Richard Lochhead Cab Sec for Rural Affairs, Prince Charles and anyone else you can think of that may have influence may help. At least we will have tried.

I can understand the closure - it's not in an ideal spot, but it's the lack of any alternative provision that bothers me.

Emma 81

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:19:03 pm »
I have read the posts regarding St Andrews Abattoir closing and I wanted to let you know that I take my cattle and sheep to Dunblane Abattoir (Stevensons) where I get a great service. They then deliver my animals to a cutting plant for me. They also slaughter pigs one day a week I am not sure which. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

P.S Some of my cattle are over 30months they do them as well.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 02:01:36 pm »
Stevensons of Dunblane slaughter pigs on a Tuesday, but you MUST book them in the week before.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:09:31 pm »
We've used Dunblane in the past but it's a lot further than St Andrews for us and farmers in Fife.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:27:53 pm »
Oh dear  ::)
This is just so against the whole "local produce" & reducing carbon inprint campaigns, not least smallholders/farmers pockets  :o
Harder, longer winters, wet summers, feed prices going up etc. & now you folks having to travel further to find an abbattoir - it's just so daunting  :gloomy:
If there is anything the rest of us can do?  I'm not 100% informed of the facts, but if anyone has a "pro-forma" that I can follow, I'm more than happy to send emails or letters to whoever may be able to make a difference here.  Please PM me if you've got anything  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 09:19:21 am »
Closure is now imminent although they hope they can keep it open until Christmas  :(

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/local-headlines/abattoir-confirms-closure-is-imminent-1-2551327

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:31:31 am »
I haven't heard about this until now - Being in Norfolk, it dosen't affect us - But I am really sorry for all of you that will have to go further afield to find another abattoir. I am just wondering,  Is this because of the rise in feed costs & some of the larger farms / fattening units & pig breeders giving up?   Will this be the case all over the uk over the next few years?    :(     And to sell to make room for a 'Quality food store'  seems to make it worse... Is this quality food going to be locally produced?  Or is it going to be more imported meat & veg?    :rant: 
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 03:17:56 pm »
The abattoirs management simply put it down to it not being viable to run in its current location...perhaps giving some hope for relocation nearby?  :(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:06 am »
Yeah, it may also have something to do with the fact that a developer has offered them £4m for the site for a M&S (There is no Plan B, remember ::) ) and  Premier Inn :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS