Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "How to show poultry" beginners guide - could you write one?  (Read 5356 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
"How to show poultry" beginners guide - could you write one?
« on: August 06, 2012, 04:04:40 pm »
As part of the Smallholder Festival and our desire to encourage more folk to bring along their birds and livestock, we're putting together beginners' guides for the various animals.

Anke has done goats and HappyHippy, pigs, but I need someone to "do" poultry and waterfowl.

Anyone on here able to help?

HappyHippy

Re: "How to show poultry" beginners guide - could you write one?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 05:52:43 pm »
I found this website http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/1374/Tips-on-Showing-Poultry but since I've never shown a chook, I don't know if it's accurate  :-\

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:16:39 pm »
I'm going to put in some ducks when I get around to downloading your forms - wash their feet and put them in the cage, tell them to smile at the judges  :eyelashes:   :excited: :innocent:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Neil Watson

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:16:13 pm »
wash legs and attach 20 pound notes times are hard even for judges

Neil Watson

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:51:18 pm »
only jokin.scrub legs with nailbrush sponge face and comb.if a white bird it will need afull bath .coloured birds will get away with agood sponge down .night before apply some vasilin or oil to comb and legs this bring them up a treat.it also pays pen train your birds get them used to being in acage.a hour everynight 2weeks before theshow .handle them put them inthe cage take them out stroke and sooth them .put them back in give a titbit.walk back and forth in front of cage stops them being startled.more work but itpays off with prizes.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:17:01 am »
Oh that's a good idea about the treats and cage thing - I was worried about how stressed they would be in the cage. :relief:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00:06 pm »
We need a guide on showing sheep too. It's a minefield for what breed societies allow what and vice versa! To Bloom or not to Bloom...... that is the question!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 10:14:03 pm »
all i know is that the birds get washed in fairy liquid a week before and get kept inside until show day, that gives time for the feathers to get a sheen again. ( i had to ask people at the fur n feather shows.)
then u had to do something to their scaly legs but sorry - i cant remember.

we have shown coloured birds, but not our white sussex mainly cos they are not v white and usually filthy. the birds at shows r very white and clean.  :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:30:32 am »
We need a guide on showing sheep too. It's a minefield for what breed societies allow what and vice versa! To Bloom or not to Bloom...... that is the question!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Working on that  :fc:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:31:31 am »
all i know is that the birds get washed in fairy liquid a week before and get kept inside until show day, that gives time for the feathers to get a sheen again. ( i had to ask people at the fur n feather shows.)
then u had to do something to their scaly legs but sorry - i cant remember.

we have shown coloured birds, but not our white sussex mainly cos they are not v white and usually filthy. the birds at shows r very white and clean.  :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D ;D

The beginners pig and goat showing guides are available now and the poultry one will be available at the end of August / early September. :thumbsup:

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 09:49:21 am »

Working on that  :fc:
Thank the Lord!!! Brilliant!  :excited:
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS