Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A curious thing!  (Read 1463 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
A curious thing!
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:02:23 am »
i have six chicks hatched by mother about five weeks ago. Three are fully feathered now and are growning well. the other three still have a lot of their chick fluff, baldy areas, and only a few feathers and are a lot smaller. .........Why??

i have now (3 days ago) seperated them from mum and siblings to allow them free access to feed etc...just in case it was that they were not getting enough feed. It may be my imagination but feathers are possibly growing..good cos they were really looking like little dinasours, LOL

Emma T xx
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Re: A curious thing!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:09 am »
I had exactly the same situation with 4 chocolate orpingtons . 2 feathered up nicely but the other two looked almost oven ready ! Someone on this forum did mention that cockerels in some breeds are slower to feather up  than hens - unfortunately my 2 bald ones were cockerels  , started fighting and had to be dispatched. Not much help I'm afraid but I don't think there's anything to worry about.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Re: A curious thing!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:40:35 am »
Yup thats a good description- oven ready!!  :roflanim:
ET x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS