Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholdings and Listed Buildings  (Read 12934 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Smallholdings and Listed Buildings
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 10:34:45 pm »
We have a grade 2 listed building and run the garden as a smallholding, which is all residential AND within a conservation area. Issues with listed buildings are over-rated. There is no problem with anything up to one metre high anywhere, more than that needs planning, but only immediately alongside the building. The house was an issue because of the listed features -moulded door frame and sash windows. But we never needed planning permission for any restoration or repairs, only if we wanted to physically change the house -inside or out. Listed building consent takes time but isn't that much hassle. Just remember you are merely the custodian of that property for future generations Asedge. Benefits are living in a prestige property and not just another box. Work can be expensive as your average builder simply hasn't the skills necessary to successfully work on a listed building, you need proper craftsmen.

Be patient with house changes and just put up your fencing. Keep the polytunnel out of the same view as the house, as seen from others (we had a very big polytunnel -if the neighbours could have objected they would). We also have multi-couloured large chicken coops and an electric fencing line on saddles over a historic boundary wall -no problems.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 08:27:26 am »
Thats good advice. When getting PP for our stables, we emphasised it being back from the line of the house so that the views were maintained, and also specified we would paint them dark green to make them blend in. It works too, when viewed from the signed walk on a hill in the distance, you cant really see the stables but you can see the soft pink lime harled house very clearly.
If theres no fencing near the house, it almost gives you an opportunity to define the curtilage where restrictions will apply - ie we did this, we put the fence x yards back from the back of the house and now as far as planners are concerned, thats the curtilage from what I can tell. NB they do also still have with listed buildings the ability to control stuff which is outside the curtilage affecting the buildings context but as long as you are sensitive with where you put things or (if PP/LBconsent needed) you show you are trying to minimise impact they are (from my experience) not too bad. The main thing they are concerned with is the house, if you play ball with them on materials (2x the cost of normal) and techniques (2x) and dont try and apply for unsympathetic extensions etc they will prob be happy. eg ours is B listed (GII* equivalent) but although they wouldnt allow any alteration to the footprint, we did agree with them that on the plain rear of the house we could have a small sloping mansard roof for part of the width which meant we could fit in two ensuite showerrooms to the bedrooms. Yet on paper this would be  a no-no, but they recognised that actually it improved the look of the rear.
just some thoughts, hope they help.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »
Well IMHO i'd choose option 4 on your list unless you're really prepared to have all sorts of grief not just from the authorities but your awful sounding neighbour too, not only that you have a child who you says needs 24/7 attention, take off those rosy tinted specs mate and start looking for a different place to live your dream! There will be one out there somewhere all good things come to those who wait and i know its frustrating but really walk away from this one!
mandy  :pig:

asedge

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 06:49:53 pm »
Thanks for all the replies - good to have a range of viewpoints.

We have since spoken further with our solicitors and the planners and they are happy for us to put up the fencing without a problem. Turns out the land is actually agricultural land after all, our solictor had made a mistake. And ten years ago the ponds were fenced in as the previous owner kept cattle on the land and wanted to keep them out of the ponds. We exchanged contracts yesterday and are planning to move next week. Poly tunnel is also fine. Further digging also suggests that the neightbour issue is partly down to a personality clash with the current owner rather as much as anything esle.

I know some of you may disagree but I we are sure we are doing the right thing, with the fencing up our son will be safe and will hopefully learn some valuable life skills from what we are doing.

Thanks again and I am sure I will be after further advice soon!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »
We can only offer advice on the info you give us, glad after further investigation things are not as bad as first painted, so best of luck and you know where we all are when you want our input somemore. i'm sure you'll make a good life for your child and yourselves.
All the best
mandy :pig:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 08:41:51 pm »
Hi, I've got my architect's hat on.  Agree with checking what your listing has written - this will be accessible from the Listed Buildings dept of your council and states exactly what is listed.  It may cover the buildings but not the land.  Deeds can have mistakes on them - showing boundaries where a new fence was erected rather than the middle of a river etc, so its difficult and time consuming to sort out what becomes acceptable for you and your solicitor.  It sounds like this is going to take a bit of time.  It may be worth having a conversation with your LB officer about the health and safety thing.  It's all a bit 'ouch' to be honest.  We are very cagey what we tell our planners / LB officers, it's better just to keep a low profile sometimes but that grumpy neighbour may have you of course so you may have to do the whole thing by the book.  The fencing around the ponds for example won't be necessary when your kids are about 8 (we have a large pond, listed buildings, listed land etc) and these temporary issues I wouldn't normally mention.  Your neighbour may have other ideas of course.  If it's your dream place though I'd stick with it but it may not be once you know big brother next door is always there, peering through the hedge  8)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

deepinthewoods

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 10:09:09 pm »
i dont think buying a listed building is a bad idea at all, its certainly a better investment long term than a new build . an advantage with listed buildings is that the previous owners will have had to follow the same guidlines which can mean  the standard of works is better.
i havent worked on a lb resoration yet where the listing has not been 'right', whilst they may have been a pain its been worth it in the long run.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS