Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging  (Read 9443 times)

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
Tagging
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:17:36 am »
I have 5 late lambs from last year that are just about ready to go for slaughter. 3 of them have lost their ear tags, I bought them as orphan lambs from 2 different farmers. Not sure what to do about replacement tags. Do I use the numbers that they came with or my own CPH no on new tags. I do not have an applicator so will have to buy one, can anyone recommend one and let me know where I can get the small no. that I need.
Thanks very much
Jo

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Re: Tagging
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:26:54 am »
you will need to replace the tags with RED ones with your own CPH number etc on them. Record the new numbers with the CPH of the original holding (if you have it) in your stock records book. I believe they need two tags for the slaughterhouse. (may be wrong on that)

The tags and applicator can be got from the likes of 'symtag' (google it) they are fast at getting the stuff to you and will be able to advise too. They will supply any number of tags etc. The applicator for the small loop tags is really quite cheap!

Where are you cos if you are close to me you could borrow my applicater!
Emma x just north of dundee

If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:30:48 am »
They need to be tagged with your flock number. I got mine from ketchums,  the pliers come free and you can just order 5 if you want, think I got 30 for about £5.  The number is 01737 812218, the tags I got were called track back tags you need to give them your holding number and flock number.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:22:30 pm »
I thought there were problems having red tagged sheep slaughtered. maybe mistaken. But you can't use your holdings tags.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 01:27:57 pm »
Hi shetland...what do you mean? problems ...
Emma x

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 02:04:14 pm »
Arent red tags just for imported sheep?  (I got purple! ;))

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:13:10 pm »
Hang on folks......If you know the number they came with....eg UK112233/34 which you should do as it will be on the paperwork they came woth or recorded in your movement book you do not need to put your own number in, just order a replacement tag from Symtag and ask them to send a pair of pliers!!
IF the lambs are now hogs  i.e over 12 months you will need 2 tags....one for each ear.

I have often had sheep that were bought in lose a tag and this is much easier than putting in a different number. If you do put in a different number....your own, you will have to record that animal UK112233/34 is now UK334455/13....
much simpler to order replacements!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:24:43 pm »
Emma x
i thought there were traceabilty issues. but im very probably wrong. it could be we have a picky slaughterhouse up here.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:31:16 am »
mmmm now I am getting more confuzzled!
need to check the documentation and 'fishul structions' i got from my local AW branch etc
Emma x

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:49:36 am »
Thanks folks, will get onto that today.
Emma thanks for the offer of your pliers, we are in west Stirlingshire so just a bit too far to head up to you.
Maybe see you at the next cssa meeting?
Jo

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:50:38 am »
hokey dokey
E x

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:17:45 pm »
Emma x
i thought there were traceabilty issues. but im very probably wrong. it could be we have a picky slaughterhouse up here.

Traceability....as follows!!

Lamb born on holding and given eartag (or two)with unique identity which is recorded in movement records along with dams no.......moves to another holding.....at the moment ok as uniquely identified negating the need for another tag!.....simple!

However if not uniquely identified....ie just the UK number but not an individual number with it, you can find which flock it came from but not when nor who its dam was nor its precise DOB......so up until EID comes in it has to have an extra tag added!

When EID comes in each animal will HAVE to have a unique identifier.....its on the chip!

Hope that helps.....a bit! Its bloomin confuddling
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 08:11:39 pm »
totally agree. When the eu bods come up here they are going to start crying. the folks up here have done there own thing and its going to take more than europe to change there ways. There electronic tags/reader will not last two minutes up here.

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 02:43:59 pm »
I'm bumping this up cos I have read it a number of times and I'm STILL not sure what to do! Boy, I thought I had half a brain (just about) but I really cannot get any of my poor old brain cells round this topic.

I have 8 shearlings/hogs/whatever they are called when they are over 12 months old.   5 are ewes I am keeping to put in lamb and the boys will be going to slaughter some time soon.  Two of the ewes have lost ear tags.  Looking back over their paperwork when they came onto my holding they were only marked down as 5 x 221646 with no individual identifier numbers after that.  I didn't (fool!!!) take a note of the identifier numbers in my holding register (just putting them down as 5 x 221646)  So, now I need to obtain replacement tags for them - what number do I use?

And I understand I need to have double tags for the rest of the ewes.  Exactly the same number but in the other ear presumably?

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 02:58:39 pm »
Having had a strong cup of coffee and read this thread again I think I understand what WoolyShepherd is saying.  I can replace the missing tags with my own number and just make a note in the holding register.

And I do need to get an extra ear tag, same number as existing tag, for all sheeps over 12 months old.  Finally I think I am getting it but I would really appreciate someone confirming that for me!!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS