Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's everyone up to today?  (Read 82700 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: What's everyone up to today?
« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:49 am »
Absolutely glorious :sunshine:  so after work this afternoon i'm going to decimate whats left of the veg garden to the compost heap, we have some huge dead pumpkin foilage that needs dragging to it and since its such a nice day  :idea: i'll have a bonfire too.  :excited:  have to be careful what i put on it today last time the smoke was a bit black  :innocent: and next door rang OH at work to see if i had set farm on fire!
Mandy :pig:

:roflanim:  I like the fact he rang your OH at work, instead of popping in to check you were ok!

I am currently sitting at the table drinking coffee while bloomer is hard at work outside on what will be our patio  :innocent:  maybe i better go do some work!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #256 on: October 02, 2012, 12:42:12 pm »
I am sitting here with a cup of coffee wondering which job to do first. Fields are so wet and muddy with all this rain, outside work takes twice as long,as Iget the barrow stuck in the mud.  Need to clean some goat pens out,and the hens ........they have all trod mud inside, and seems pointless cleaning it, as they will do it again ......!!!
Got lots of fencing to do at the new land,but need some help for that one!!  Oh, and poo picking, as the ponies all got in the small paddock, and left lots of piles of course.  But its blowing a gale, and about to rain, so not ideal for pushinga barrow round a bleak hillside.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #257 on: October 02, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »
Just finished repairing a door way in the side of a stone barn. Yesterday I was in a T shirt and today I had 3 layers on and a hat !! Off to put a door frame in and hang a door soon and warm myself up by digging out the barn floor of fossilised cow muck ( maybe 30 years old).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #258 on: October 02, 2012, 08:28:03 pm »
Didn't get my bonfire :( Oh arranged to have trailer delivered so over saw that, then noticed one of next doors jersey cows upended, so rang them, turned out she's an old lass in calf and had managed to get herself rolled into a dip in the ground and couldn't get back up, she's ok thankfully after a big heave to help her up, then dragged about 3 ton of dead pumpkin plants to compost heap, then made a corned beef and tattie pie, walked dog, fed pigs, brought washing in. OH came home and has now gone to bed to read and i'm watching man u out the corner of my eye, shocker of a first goal they let in but now all equal thanks to the flying dutchman, think i'll turn in myself shortly.....good job lifes not dull isn't it :-J
mandy :pig:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #259 on: October 02, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »
That sounds fun, Mak.  I slept until 10.15am because I hadn't told OH what time I wanted calling.  My friend who does the morning milking has a trapped nerve in her back so I have to do it.  By the time OH had got me into and out of the shower and helped me dress I was practically due for the next lot of painkillers so milking was very uncomfortable and being hauled off the milking stool even worse.  Still I did manage to clear up dog poo as well before the rain started.  Strained the milk and left OH to bottle it and clean food buckets while I had my porridge for lunch.   ;D

I have now told him that if I am doing the morning milking, I need to get up a lot earlier than 10.15.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #260 on: October 03, 2012, 10:08:53 am »
Painting the inside of our shepherd's hut on stilts (the house is on stilts not me) - it's raised up on telegraph poles and is quite big - mini-kitchen one end and wood burning stove the other - it's going to be my painting studio/gallery and general hideaway, but only when we get everything else a bit further on.  It overlooks the mill pond with all our duck, hen and goose activity going on, so it's nice to paint away and peek out at their capering goings on.
Weather report says its going to be dry for the next few days.   :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #261 on: October 03, 2012, 05:28:05 pm »
Painting the inside of our shepherd's hut on stilts (the house is on stilts not me) - it's raised up on telegraph poles and is quite big - mini-kitchen one end and wood burning stove the other - it's going to be my painting studio/gallery and general hideaway, but only when we get everything else a bit further on.  It overlooks the mill pond with all our duck, hen and goose activity going on, so it's nice to paint away and peek out at their capering goings on.
Weather report says its going to be dry for the next few days.   :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc:
Sounds like an idyllic place to hide goosepimple.  :thumbsup:    :)
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #262 on: October 03, 2012, 06:09:47 pm »
Got up quite early for me, 8am. Left OH in bed so that I could have a couple of hours to myself. Saw to the animals, then made a coffee. I made the fire up and sat down to watch a couple of episodes of a programme that I love but OH doesnt. Made breakfast then sorted everything out to make our Christmas cake. Am now doing roast lamb for dinner, and I plan to iron tonight.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #263 on: October 03, 2012, 06:15:34 pm »

I want one.  Sounds idyllic.

Today my friend came round after she'd been busy in her garden, with two big plastic trugs filled with bean plants, clematis and tomato plants.  I now have three very full but very happy goats.  I have had yet another blood test which should get me one step nearer a diagnosis.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #264 on: October 03, 2012, 07:03:18 pm »

Spent the morning cleaning out the goats and the trailer, I just don't know how I managed before I had goats to "help". Getting these 2 has to be one of the best things that I have done, even when I am feeling down they make me laugh.
Anne

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #265 on: October 03, 2012, 09:09:04 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D , so good you're enjoying your little ones Daisys Mum.

And good luck Mad, really hope it all goes well with you  :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #266 on: October 03, 2012, 09:43:17 pm »
Been to Market Drayton to collect a trailer I won on eBay, big enough for a couple of goats me thinks :innocent:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:56:39 pm by Carl f k »

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #267 on: October 03, 2012, 09:54:18 pm »
Been to Market Drayton to collect a trailer I wine on eBay, big enough for a couple of goats me thinks :innocent:
Only use for a trailer  :innocent:

Anne

Mel

« Reply #268 on: October 05, 2012, 05:40:45 pm »
I am having a cuppa before locking all the girls up for the night,spent the day picking the last of my tomatoes,and the green ones ready to make some chutney tomorrow :yum: tidying up the greenhouses and polytunnel ready for the winter.

I have never grown in them over winter,I wonder if anything would be ok in them to plant now,they look so empty and sad!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #269 on: October 05, 2012, 06:02:11 pm »
I am having a cuppa before locking all the girls up for the night,spent the day picking the last of my tomatoes,and the green ones ready to make some chutney tomorrow :yum: tidying up the greenhouses and polytunnel ready for the winter.

I have never grown in them over winter,I wonder if anything would be ok in them to plant now,they look so empty and sad!
[/quote
I have tried to grow salads and radishes over winter - but the ba**ard voles eat all....Theye ok over the summer, but in the winter they just move in... and they don't use the traps either... :rant:
Picked a good amount of raspberries again today, and from the polytunnel last of tomatoes are awaiting their turn on being cooked up and frozen, last cucumbers and green (I never get red) peppers picked too - yes that's the end of the polytunnel season here too...
Also made two cheeses (now in press) and planned tomorrows (oh so interesting...not) day out to test-drive some vans, my car was just written off... :-[

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS