Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's everyone up to today?  (Read 82703 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: What's everyone up to today?
« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2012, 10:53:55 am »
 :roflanim: oh plums, you do make my days  :sunshine: with your life stories.

Our cement also contained horsehair, it was used many years ago along with the limed plaster. Father in law used lime many years ago, and said it was great to help prevent damp damage. ( don't quite understand how, mind  :thinking: )

No dead bodies found here either, when we pulled down walls and ceilings   :relief:  :roflanim:

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2012, 01:25:43 pm »
Have to say the little rotavator is now my best friend. After having burned myself on the exhaust on Wednesday, today me and our workshare, Trevor, managed to get six beds rotavated, composted, re-rotavated and finally covered in black plastic in about two hours! Looking like we might be ready for spring when it comes.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #227 on: September 28, 2012, 01:43:27 pm »
:thumbsup: well done plums.

How did it go ditw?

thanks, yup all good. offers from 2 banks, just going thro the small print.

horse hair was used as a binding agent. and it is still used today.
lime is breathable, so it is brilliant on damp walls much better than cement for cob and stone walling.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #228 on: September 28, 2012, 02:03:08 pm »
Well done to Plums and DITW.

Today my goats have watched with interest as my back steps were redone to make them easier for me to negotiate and a hand rail added.  Just hope Pom is prepared to use the steps tonight at milking time.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #229 on: September 29, 2012, 06:18:58 am »
Another big day for us today, we've got the farm AGM. 70 members coming over for a workday followed by hog roast. Going to be exhausted by this evening but really looking forward to it. First time we'll be hog roasting on of our own pigs - should be a real treat!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #230 on: September 29, 2012, 07:09:28 am »
Well, apart from all the usual weekend chores - I need to find my white coat ready for tomorrow  :excited:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #231 on: September 29, 2012, 07:32:03 am »
wondering if i'll ever catch up on sleep, sorting all the stuff for forfar tomorrow then getting an early night as we have to be up early tomorrow  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #232 on: September 29, 2012, 07:33:17 am »
wondering if i'll ever catch up on sleep, sorting all the stuff for forfar tomorrow then getting an early night as we have to be up early tomorrow  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
What time are you planning on leaving tomorrow?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #233 on: September 29, 2012, 07:35:52 am »
we need to leave here by 5.30 the latest as we have my wifes craft stand to set up and with 4 kids stopping over up there makes going today impossible, so i need to be up about 430 to get them all ready.

remember i don't keep animals yet so 4.30 is an unforgivable time for the alarm to go off!!!

:excited: :excited: :excited:  really looking forward to the day though...

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #234 on: September 29, 2012, 07:43:31 am »
Think we'll be leaving about 6ish, but it'll take us a couple of hours to get the animals done beforehand.  So we'll probably be up & about the same time as you  :tired:
Just hoping the  :excited:  keeps me going  ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #235 on: September 29, 2012, 07:49:41 am »
 :excited: :excited: :excited:

the above will continue so long as there is a source of caffeine there somewhere tomorrow...

am wondering about the status of local coffee growers in scotland and if they will be well represented...

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #236 on: September 29, 2012, 08:28:24 am »
I'm going to meet Lord Flynn today! Maybe I'll meet some of you guys at Forfar tomorrow too ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #237 on: September 29, 2012, 09:14:37 am »
Oh mummyshaz your renovations sound same as we've had here!! Several rooms with those lovely polystyrene ceiling tiles that are such a huge fire risk that you panic and rip them down soon as you move in only to find chunks of ceiling follow them!
we also found a hammer touching a live wire embedded in the kitchen chimney stack when we raised the lintle to get a range fitted. Daft thing was there was chestnut hair in the brickwork too, loads of it, which I didn't know was commonly used years back in building and I assumed it was a murder weapon. Luckily the plumber caught me ringing the police in tears and panicking and told me  ::)   I stick to making soap nowadays.

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #238 on: September 29, 2012, 09:15:53 am »
Off to Forfar shortly to start setting up  :excited:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #239 on: September 29, 2012, 09:18:13 am »
Off to Montrose in a minute to do a bit of charity shop shopping - need a new jumper, it's getting cold...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS