Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Petrol strimmer for little people!  (Read 5575 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Petrol strimmer for little people!
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:20:08 pm »
Can anyone recommend a heavy duty petrol strimmer with an adjustable shaft?  I'm only 5'1" and the one my OH has is too long for me to use and the head ends up at the wrong angle.  The shoulder harness is too long also so I end up trying to carry the weight of it which is, to say the least, knackering.  We did buy a smaller one but it is pathetic with the thistles/nettles.  What I need is small but capable!  Any suggestions would be appreciated?  :) :)
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

robert waddell

Re: Petrol strimmer for little people!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:46:26 pm »
they have adj handles and the bracket for the harness can move up and down as well    sthil does anyway :farmer:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:29:25 pm »
Thanks Robert - will check out the Stihl website.   :thumbsup:   Yes the handles and harness bracket do adjust but the overall length of the strimmer doesn't and I also tried tying knots in the harness straps but it wasn't too kind on the female form  :o  if you know what I mean ;) ;) ;D !!!!!!!!!!!
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 01:48:43 am »
I got a short guy works for me and he manages OK - just got to get the weight on you body and back and not in your arms, hips and lower therfor your lower back.  Sounds like you just need to adjust you harness - have you got just a shoulder strap or a body harness?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:51:30 am »
If your smaller and your worried about the angle - just carry it higher on your body. Unless your less than 5 foot tall - you shouldnt have a problem with direction and mobility - but the weight does need to be spread - you dont want to strim with your arms- but with your bulk and in nice smooth arcs the length of the strimmer.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:54:03 am »
Dunno how experienced you are - but you want to be chucking the spoil back and out the way - rather than forward and to be recut, caught, tangled, slowing the strimmer.  Normally right to left does the cut.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:10:19 am »
thats a good tip Bazzais, thanks I'll try that (if it ever stops raining).  I'm not much over 5' and  I too find the strimmer uncomfortable and end up using my scyth as much as poss, but some bits are just too rocky for scything so I need to improve technique.  I have a cheapy (siaco, or something like that) and it is fully adjustable, but I still find it hard.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:59:54 am »
Thanks for the tips bazzais.  I have been doing the lighter strimming for years so my technique should be up to scratch but I wanted to start tackling the tougher strimming whilst OH works away so he doesn't face a jungle on his return.  Have tried all sorts of adjustments with the body harness to no avail - may just have to make my own.  If I adjust the handles and harness clip to further down to shaft then the strimmer becomes top heavy from the engine behind me so when it is in the right place for balance it is too long at the front.  I think I'll take a trip to B&Q or garden centre and try others out for size and adjustability.  If all else fails I'll resort to a scyth like FiB.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS