Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swedish Smart Log Splitter  (Read 7174 times)

weeJim

• Joined Feb 2009
Swedish Smart Log Splitter
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »
Hi.
Has anyone any experience of these?  I have a six trees worth of logs to split, some logs are more than 50cm in diameter.  I have damaged my shoulder so the axe and maul have had to be put away for a while.
Thanks

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Swedish Smart Log Splitter
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:35:08 pm »
Mmmmm. Just watched the youtube demo and not impressed - he's splitting tiny slices of kindling off thin rounds of un knotted wood.  Thats not what I've got!  I'm in the same boat as you and looking at various options - favouring electric splitter at mo.  There was a thread on here re manual log splitters a little while back http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=23601.0   so I'm sure there will be some experiences to update us....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:38:12 pm by FiB »

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:36:28 pm »
Ah - here's a comment on the you tube clip..
"Having used these? , In terms of practicality, its a fine implement for chopping kindling. Too slow and laborious for splitting bigger firewood especially if its anything other than dry and straight grained."

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:15:12 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have one of these, and wrote about it on this thread.

It's brilliant for kindling. No more holding small bits of wood with another bit, then trying to hit it as it wobbles around, and no more lost fingertips in the process  ;D .

HOWEVER, for me, it doesn't replace a splitting maul for doing actual firewood. I personally found that if I couldn't split it with a maul, I had no chance with the smart splitter, and the maul was decidedly quicker if used with a half decent technique.

We have now settled on splitting easy stuff like pine by hand whilst letting the other stuff stack up over the year. We then hire a professional quality petrol driven hydraulic splitter for one weekend a year, which works out pretty cost effective given the huge amount we can process in a couple of long days. For example, the pile below will have taken about an hour to do:

Hope that helps!

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:38:16 pm »
Hi
Wondered where you hired from and how much it cost?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:07:26 pm »
Hiya, It came from Burnside Garden Machinery in Queenzieburn, near Kilsyth. IIRC it was £80 for the weekend (I think!).  Mind you, it's quite a big beastie - came on its own trailer etc!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:44 pm »
Thanks, sounds like a good option..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS