Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: |Help!Dog attack :(  (Read 5788 times)

kitchen cottage

|Help!Dog attack :(
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:42:40 am »
I'm off work having taken two tamworths to slaughter.... while out, an alsatian an staffie thing have come in and attacked one of my sheep.  They were originally on my neighbours land and he chased them and realised they had come onto mine.  He chased them away.

Damage to one of the lambs is tear in the top of a hind leg, a nip on the face and on the foot.  I've given a maple syrup drench for shock, cleaned the wounds and put on wound powder.   Anything else?  She ate some nuts afterwards and looks sorry for herself but is up and mooching. 

Police told and uninterested. 

Worried the dogs (who I don't know and I know every dog here) will come back  >:( :fc:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: |Help!Dog attack :(
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:23 am »
they need shooting, closely followed by the irresposible owner, check with the dog warden see if anyone reported them missing, you can send a bill for the dammages to your poor sheep . >:(

kitchen cottage

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:57 am »
We have no dogwarden here >:(  Animal Welfare have been and he says they sound like they were left by Pikeys.... I'm essex, we have just a few...... police informed and they say Pikeys sell, they don't abandon.

Odd that there are strange dogs...

Only witness is my neighbour, who has two out of control beagles...

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:27:55 pm »
Antibiotics - dog bites are dirty and puncture wounds may be deep.  Try the District Council for the Dog Warden, just so that it is recorded. >:(

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50:32 pm »
The tear in the hind leg would worry me. Have you phoned your vet.
Sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:56:01 pm »
Poor you  :bouquet: and poor lambie  :love: :sheep:

Yes, guard against infection, especially in any deep or jagged wounds.  I'd have antiobiotic (terramycin) spray on them, clean with salty water daily, terramycin afterwards for three days.  Any worries, a/b jag.

Sounds like lambie is coming through the shock - maple syrup, lucky lambie! 

You'll never know any more about what dogs it was.  If it was the neighbour's beagles, this will have frightened him so that hopefully he'll try to keep the beagles better contained in future. :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kitchen cottage

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:35:33 pm »
I sent a photo of the wound to the vet, she's great.  She didn't seem worried and I am dropping down for an antibiotic later.  I've put purple spray and wound powder on to keep flies away.  I cleaned it with citronella immediately after.  She seems okay at the moment.....

I jumped to a wrong conclusion.... the police has other sightings of the dogs on the road....

Just waiting and see then.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:49:34 pm »
did you see the dogs
if it the dogs mentioned would the damage not be more severe or even killed them :farmer:

kitchen cottage

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 02:01:48 pm »
No Robert, I was at the abattoir with my two Tammy's when I got a call.  They were in my neighbours garden and he shooed them away..... he then thought about my sheep and came over to find them attacking, so I don't think they had anymore time to do much damage.

He then phoned the Animal Welfare officer who arrived as I did (didn't take my name, address or anything),  After sorting out the lamb, I phoned the police who said they had other reports of these dogs in the road about a mile from my house later this morning....

I think I need to thank my neighbour and feel guilty that I did think it might have been his dogs.... for the same reason as you Robert, the damage is light for the breeds of dog..

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 02:08:09 pm »
well if it were me that witnessed the dogs i would not be shooing them away     both breeds when they open there mouth you can see down to there arse     it would be a graip that i would have :farmer:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 06:48:41 pm »
We have no dogwarden here >:(  Animal Welfare have been and he says they sound like they were left by Pikeys.... I'm essex, we have just a few...... police informed and they say Pikeys sell, they don't abandon.

Odd that there are strange dogs...

Only witness is my neighbour, who has two out of control beagles...

Did animal welfare actually use that term?! One of my most hated words after my children were called it as they were bullied for being of traveller descent  >:(

I hope the lamb makes a full recovery. Dog attacks are really not nice, I also hope the owners are tracked down and taken to task.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

kitchen cottage

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 06:56:20 pm »
Common term around here for a reason and I won't apologise for using it.

We have ENDLESS problems caused by Pikeys (and mostly they don't actually "travel" but live in houses) from illegal occupation of land, to thefts, to violence ...... I live here..... I know how much the general lawlessness of the Pikey's impacts.

Really.... you have to be here.....

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 07:01:49 pm »
what so you can call me one too? no thanks.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

kitchen cottage

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 07:02:41 pm »
plumseverywhere..... sorry on reading that it was downright rude and I apologise.  Thank you for your good wishes for the sheep.  The culprit has been found (see other thread).  Round here we have a real problem with Pikeys who are untouchable and it impacts on quality of life at time, and can be depressing.

kitchen cottage

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 07:04:14 pm »
Plums.... I didn't call you a Pikey, I called the Pikeys round here Pikeys.  Most of them aren't travellers and deffo not gypsy's, they are just lawless subclass and they are identified by their actions not their race or creed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS