Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Savlon for sheep?  (Read 7346 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Savlon for sheep?
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:56:00 pm »
One of my ewes has a slightly sore area round one of her ear tags. She hates aerosols so if I use that I can't get near her to check her ear. So I wondered if Savlon antiseptic cream would be Ok to put on her ear. That way I can get to the ear and check it. Thank you   
4 pet sheep

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Savlon for sheep?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:01:43 pm »
 Yes, Savlon would be as good as any other antiseptic. Although I'm interested as to why the sheep will keep still while you apply Savlon, but not still enough to spray the ear. Or is it just that you don't want to upset her? :sheep: 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:05:26 pm »
Thanks Landroverroy! If I use the spray I can spray her ear but she then runs off!! If I use the cream she will stand still as she likes her ears being rubbed!
4 pet sheep

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:02 pm »
Sudocreme is really good for this sort of thing.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:56:26 pm »
I find tea tree oil in surgical spirit is good too.

I pour the small (15ml?) bottle of pure tea tree oil you can buy into 200ml of surgical spirit. Cures all sorts of sore skin things on sheep, me, dogs.....

I also use it when I tag ears, pour onto the holes/posts after tagging and have never had an infection since I started doing it.

I expect it stings a bit but they don't seem to mind too much.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:00:26 pm »
I find tea tree oil in surgical spirit is good too.

I pour the small (15ml?) bottle of pure tea tree oil you can buy into 200ml of surgical spirit. Cures all sorts of sore skin things on sheep, me, dogs.....

What a good idea  :thumbsup:  Do you spray it?

I used a savlon solution (made up as for humans) for cleaning out the wounds the maggots had left on the back of one of my lambs a couple of years ago. It helped to keep it clean and all healed up in no time.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »
I just pour it from the bottle Anke. For ear tagging that really 'soaks' the area and runs into the hole and around the post.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:09:33 pm »
Had a giggle at your post jaykay. I'm baaad at work if somebody whines about surgical spirit getting into a cut.

" what's all the yelling about! It's not going to get infected now!! "

yes, it stings like hell   :innocent:   To us softy humans anyway.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:24 pm »
It does sting, but as you say, it's clean. The stoical sheep don't complain much, the goats are so busy shouting about the ear tagging that it's hard to distinguish any extra shouting cos of the tea tree spirit  ::)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
Sudocreme is really good for this sort of thing.
I have used sudocrem.... as its pretty thick it stays on even in the wet weather! Brilliant stuff!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 01:18:40 pm »
Yup, we use Sudocrem on the sheepies too  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 02:03:36 pm »
I tend to use Stockholm Tar for small open wounds (shearing nicks, ear tag sores, ram lamb horn growth etc).  It seals up the wound and keeps the flies off.
Of course it can be messy - I put mine in a squeezy bottle with a narrow spout so that I can just squeeze out a drip or two. (I think it was an old hair dye bottle ;))

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 06:10:14 pm »
I tend to use Stockholm Tar for small open wounds (shearing nicks, ear tag sores, ram lamb horn growth etc).  It seals up the wound and keeps the flies off.
Of course it can be messy - I put mine in a squeezy bottle with a narrow spout so that I can just squeeze out a drip or two. (I think it was an old hair dye bottle ;) )
Gold label do a stockholm tar aerosol..... that can be pretty handy when your hands are full :o)
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS