Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Its not as easy as it looks  (Read 16451 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Re: Its not as easy as it looks
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 03:08:29 pm »
I have given up even attempting to turn sheep now as my back, neck and arthritic hands won't play the game (neither will the sheep!).  Many of mine are great big bruisers especially a couple of the rams and wethers.  I invested in a turnover crate last year and for those big sheep and the bigger ewes it's been a godsend.  Mind you they can still kick and struggle while upside down!  It's no good for the narrower Gotlands who just spin round in it, but they are small enough to be handled.

I'm in awe of the young lad who does my shearing, he whips through the lot of them without even seeming to sweat ..  ::) ::) .  I prefer to dag them standing up, I think you can get to more of the fleece - it's easier for me to get my knee into their sides to hold them in place while hubby or friend hold the front end!  I think I may also invest in a headstock.

It's actually quite amazing what sheep will go through and still come back for more of the same following a bucket.  Turning them over in a crate seems quite a traumatic thing to me but they can't be that stressed (or have a very short memory) as they come back again!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 03:42:12 pm »
We have a turnover crate but it's hardly seen any use.
The sheep wriggle and kick and I am so afraid they will break a leg in it.
I used to try shoving a pillow between their tummies and the bars - which mostly ended up in the pillows flying in all directions or getting shredded.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 06:24:03 pm »
I can't turn our GFD's either so forked out a small fortune for an old turnover crate.  Once you have the knack it works very well BUT you have to be so careful with their legs :o :o .  Anyone in a hurry could snap them in an instant.  I prefer to sit on a straw bale with them in the 'deckchair' beside me.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 06:29:19 pm »
We got rid of our big breeds and now keep only smaller ones  ::)   Even then the tups are a handful - I wouldn't even attempt to turn one of those these days on my own  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 07:32:19 pm »
I tip my Shetlands and lambs but my whopper Charolais' simply get their feet picked up for me to trim them... I don't ever tip them for anything else and I find I don't need to luckily. 
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 08:51:23 pm »
This is great!  I thought it was just me being pathetic.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 05:04:55 pm »
Hampshire Downs are the worse sheep I ever came across to turn over, so as previously suggested I used to do their feet standing. Any big lowland sheep will be more difficult to turn, but there is still a knack to be learned so persevere. Some people try too hard to physically turn the sheep over but if you get the head position right they kind of give up. I also think if you are tough with them they fight you yet if you cradle their head they 'give' to the inevetable. I am only little!!!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2012, 05:15:41 pm »
Did you manage to turn your sheep..... my Shetlands are easy.... i literally just pick them up and sit them on their botties/hip. My charollais are near 100 kg so that AINT happening. I don;t know what Tim Tyne teaches but to turn my fatties easy as pie I just put my left thumb in their mouth behind their bottom teeth, firmly but gently turn their head onto their right shoulder as far as it will go without pushing and then push my hand into the dipped area in front of their hip. They literally go into 'eat me' pose!  ;D

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2012, 05:18:49 pm »
OMG... that has reminded me.... I have a tipping 'deckchair' that i have never even used!!! LOL. You basically hand it onto a gate and reverse the sheep into it.  They sit in it, legs akimber like they are in a  deckchair. Think it is called a ewe chair or something!!!!! I bought it on ebay. About £35!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2012, 05:39:45 pm »
Mallows, that sounds handy. How could you forget you had it?  ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2012, 06:36:39 pm »
I have a barrel of laughs turning my Wilts tups - its a two man job really.

The ewes aren't much better - very 'bouncy' sheep. Lleyns on the other hand are a delight.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »
Mallows, that sounds handy. How could you forget you had it?  ;D ;D
LOL... because 2 weeks after buying it (after months of trying to track one down to purchase) I learned the art of tipping with minimal effort.....and now there is no looking back! LOL

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS