Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox dilemma  (Read 12379 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Fox dilemma
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 05:10:03 pm »
Wow, Jonkil I hope I don't have that many foxes
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 05:45:10 pm »
Which organisations release them?  Where?

I don't want any  :o

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 06:16:31 pm »
My problem went to foxy heaven (or Hell) complete with family, called a gamekeeper from a nearby estate, they try and keep 'things' down in number as a buffer outside the actual estate, he also said it wasn't actually illegal to let them loose, because they are a native breed, also some rescue centres have a licence to release them (and grey squirrels etc >:( )

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:13 pm »
Our local fox man took (shot!) 4 adult males from the hill recently - a sure sign of releases he says as they usually have largish territories.  Shutting mine in run (attahced to their house) at 4pm now - Lost 8 in the past 2 months - all before 5pm.  Bold as bloody brass they are.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:56:56 pm by FiB »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 06:29:08 pm »
I'm really loathed to shut mine in early as their run is tiny. Having said that its better than battery hens get so perhaps I shouldn't feel too guilty as they free range all day.
Building a bigger run is on the list of things for OH to do but his list just seems to grow and grow.  :(
Sally

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 06:58:03 pm »
Which bit of  SHOOT THEM !! don't you understand ??

I know all about the animal cruelty bit but at the end of the day if we've upset the balance of nature we have to re balance it.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 08:11:01 pm »
Moleskins, I understand but don't have a gun.
Sally

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 11:37:37 pm »
Lost all our hens today.  Again.  Feel sorry for the neighbour who has let us take a few days hols and is gutted.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:11 pm »
That's horrid, Small Farmer.  Also poor neighbour - who also will be a-feared to let you go away again...  :(

:bouquet:  {{{hugs}}}  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 08:45:19 am »
Thanks Sally. OH has lost her Leg Bars which she spent ages finding, but it's the third time we've been hit in July, and the second time when we've been away.  It's gotta be the same vixen.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:28 am »
Are they coming same time of day SF? really sorry to hear what's happened.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 10:02:30 am »
The fox was back at 8.15 this morning.  The dog was inside but barking like mad. He had seen the fox through the window.
I was outside and the fox just sat looking at me.  I shouted and clapped my hands. He went away but not in a hurry. OH put the hens back in their enclosuer for a while. Me thinks it may not be long before he gets them  :(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:37 am »
Sally, contact your local hunt.  It's what they're there for.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 10:43:15 am »
Thanks Sally I will do that.  I know that the huntsmaster doesn't live far from here and the 'stray' hound we took in for a short while was his.
Sally

jonkil

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 11:18:27 am »
The fox was back at 8.15 this morning.  The dog was inside but barking like mad. He had seen the fox through the window.
I was outside and the fox just sat looking at me.  I shouted and clapped my hands. He went away but not in a hurry. OH put the hens back in their enclosuer for a while. Me thinks it may not be long before he gets them  :(
Thats horrible, I routinely have to eliminate foxes for people who have their flocks decimated by them.
In one area nearly everyone lost fowl to foxes, there were large pockets of them and they seemed to strike daily and randomly. We were asked to help, over a period of 5 nights we shot 36 foxes and that seemed to sort the problem out. They are a real problem and wreck flocks that people spend years setting up.
 Youtube video below shows how it should be done, don't watch if you don't want to see a fox being shot.
Fox Shooting in Ireland Lamping, Vermin Control

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS