Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recent forum shenanigans  (Read 15958 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Recent forum shenanigans
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 10:49:22 am »
I do think that a PMS department is a great one cos I just go loony every month, and everyone around me, knows to staaaaay away! lol

I've told this story before, but hey - some of you won't have heard it yet.

Years ago, I had my own little company with offices in what had once been a nice old 3-bedroomed semi and was now a characterful 'office block'.  My office was what would have been the 3rd bedroom; I kept the door open, always ready for anyone to come and chat, unless I was busy concentrating on something.  Then the door would be shut but the team knew they should still knock and come in if there was anything needed discussion there and then. 

One day I had all morning undisturbed.  Now, this never happened, but I was grateful although slightly bemused.  Until, that was, I returned to my office after going down to the kitchen to fetch a cup of coffee.  Pinned to my door was a picture of a tiger, with the caption,

"I have PMS and a handgun.  Now, what was the question?"
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 10:51:25 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 10:58:14 am »
lol, I need one of those!

Helen

Mel

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 06:00:52 pm »
Hello everyone

Recently we have had a small number of 'fallings out' on the forum, and I wanted to post something to give a perspective from Rosemary and I, as creators and curators of TAS.

(Many of you will have absolutely no idea what I'm going on about - I'm referring to a tiny percentage of the activity on here that for one reason or another becomes tense or fractious - the vast majority of activity is helpful, supportive, smallholding-related discussion, with banter and personal goings-on in the Coffee Lounge.)

We see TAS as an extension of our home and our smallholding, even though it's grown well beyond what we ever imagined it might. And we see you all in some small way as guests in our home, and although we can't read or participate in every thread (although Rosemary seems to try sometimes  :D ) we have an emotional and personal investment in everything that goes on here. You can dismiss that as twee and sentimental if you wish, but it's our truth.

We try to be even-handed and fair in our moderation of the forum, and sometimes that means biting of tongues, turning a blind eye, and trying to interpret what people were trying to say when they posted that. As has been said many times before on here, email and other electronic communications are inadequate for expressing the range of emotions we all feel (even me  ;) ) and misunderstandings are inevitable. Fallings out happen. What really pees me off (and upsets the boss) is when members treat TAS as a channel for personal grievances, belittle others, or show no respect to members (including us).

It is perfectly possible to help people without being patronising, initmidating, controversial or aggressive, it just takes a little thought and communication. To trot out some more hackneyed phrases, no one was born knowing this stuff, and the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.  :)

We love having you all here and would hate to lose anyone else. What we really, really want is for everyone to pause for thought before posting anything personal, aggressive, or deliberately provocative, and ask themselves whether they would behave that way in person, in a social gathering, in someone else's house. If the answer's 'no' then please don't post it.

Thanks,

Dan
Rosemary & Dan,I am so Sorry,I admittedly saw and replied to the other post's without thinking,but then,I am not thinking straight at the moment. I have to agree with you regards site is personal to you both,and really for most of us whom would be lost without the help of each other here,there is no excuse for being untoward,whether in person or over the web.I do hope I have not upset any tasers! :'(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS