Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recent forum shenanigans  (Read 15960 times)

deepinthewoods

Re: Recent forum shenanigans
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 02:32:35 pm »
that is the nub of it sylvia.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »
Personal issues are fine - members are generally very supportive of people's problems, and the forum has been a friend to many. 

To my mind what is unacceptable is squabbling between members.  We are all entitled to our views, but voicing them is sometime unwise.  If it would be rude said face-to-face then it should not appear here.  But it is perfectly possible to disagree without being brutal or to point out relevant facts without suggesting that someone is stupid.

Unless they're a politician or a banker! (SORRY, sound of smack)
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012, 04:18:32 pm »
I have the answer  .: Dan should open a new category.  " THE PMS DEPARTMENT "  It will have a "VENT YOUR SPLEEN " sub box , and a men keep out sign . comes with a mop and bucket for wiping blood off the walls :innocent:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »
Bringing in squabbles from "outside" is not only confusing for those of us who don't know any of you "offline", it creates a bad atmosphere and "taints" the entire forum if not nipped in the bud. In my experience, once one nasty thread has occurred, it somehow breaks the ice and leads to more b*tching (if you'll forgive the phrase).

I hope this has been caught in time  :fc:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 09:15:52 am »
I've managed to miss all the recent "shenanigans" - wonderful word Dan ;) which is just as well I reckon :)

I nearly left this forum a while back after someone attacked a post I made that was I felt uncalled for, I was excited about something and felt slapped in the face by a complete stranger so I just shut up for a while and stopped posting anything personal rather than strictly animal practicalities which I felt was a shame but the only safe way to proceed.  I chose not to leave because I value the information resource, particularly on chook matters where I have only a year experience and blessed little expertise ::) so just changed my use of the forum for a while.

I reckon being at home when posting gives us all a sense of being among family and friends, and as we maybe meet a few members in "real life" we post as if we know everyone else too, and maybe share too much sometimes to be really as safe as we imagine given all the members we won't know or know how they'll react..  The forum is primarily about smallholding which is so integral to most of our lives, or a dream for others, that we do feel passionately about it, both when we find folk that share our passion and, sometimes, those who feel passionately but don't share our opinion :o  Our lives are so woven into our work that it is harder to separate what is "personal" and not post about it ::) and that leaves us vulnerable to taking things personally because they feel that way.

I've been a member of another forum since it started and always felt safe being myself there despite the growth of membership, until recently when I fell out with someone outside forum territory, in a very brief encounter, a newcomer I'd never met but trusted as "a member, one of us" and shouldn't have.  The external situation is now resolved, but bad feeling remains on both sides and while I've tried to be careful not to post on her threads in case it is inflammatory, and frankly because I want nothing to do with her opinions or experiences, she has felt it necessary to post attacking me overtly and responding to my own threads with snide comments, further allegations and basically calling me a liar at every opportunity even where she could not possibly know what I had been thinking or what decisions I'd discussed with others but not herself :o  I complained and all these threads have been deleted but it leaves me unwilling to post where she has or might, and unable to say anything directly related to my experience or opinions because I know for sure she'll be there with a dagger ::)

I've been thinking hard about it since, hence this post ;) but am coming to the conclusion that, as a passionate and perhaps occasionally opinionated person :o it may do me good to spend some time purely supporting others or providing information on some topics, but putting in nothing personal whatsoever.  It's a challenge to my ego as in some cases I reckon I "know the answer" or have valid experience to share and to choose not to do so is unusual - but hey, unusual is good sometimes right?  Maybe I'll become a better person for not having so much to say about myself ::)  :fc: At least on here I know I know much less than most, where there I feel slightly more knowledgeable in areas I've spent 25 years actively and my whole life to some degree, pursuing as a "lifes work".  Until now anyway, at this point I reckon that dream has been achieved, lived and is coming to an end.  So much still to learn about the other aspects of my life, so many questions and right now they're about baldy chickens, infected plum tree and decimated brassicas so I'm here looking for answers and trying to keep my head down on the personal front (for a while anyway ;) )

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 09:42:11 am »
Like you, Dan and Rosemary, my OH and I 'host' a forum.  Ours is a motorcycle forum.   It grew out of a much, much larger forum where the behaviour had deteriorated to the point of it being an unpleasant environment to be in.  Part of the problem there was mis-moderation in our opinion.

The forum my OH set up he decided would be 'without moderation' or 'self-moderated' and people know that - they know that noone will come in and sort out the fisticuffs or bullying.  Interestingly, on the occasions when someone has stepped out of line, the whole forum has rounded on them.  Threads are not locked, people are not thrown out or reprimanded by the forum's 'parents'.  It's another way, and I don't  think it is a system that can be introduced half way through a forum's life.  I just thought you might be interested that there are other ways.

Personally, and as a relative newcomer, I want to thank you for all the time and effort you have put into hosting us all here.  I see your presence as moderators and hosts in a very positive light, and feel you do a good job of 'parenting' the site - like posting this thread (an appropriate place for those who want to to speak out n the subject).  I have learned a great deal, feel supported in a way that i can't imagine new smallholders ever had access to feeling before a forum like this, and am simply enjoying getting to know folk here better.

Many thanks from me and him and all at Cinderhill Farm  :pig: :chook: :dog: :goat: :sheep: :&> :cat:
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 09:42:30 am »
Great mail ellied.
Where there are 10 different people there will be 10 different opinions but personal attacks are not on.
Lets all try to stick to the reason this forum exists, our smallholdings or dreams of having one.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 10:52:31 pm »
Well said Dan.  I have always felt welcome on this site and I intend being a permanent guest in your home.  :thumbsup:

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 11:55:51 pm »
This rang so true for me ........ Apart from the bit about chickens. ;D

Had it not been for a couple of PM's to support me I'd have given up and been gone. Judging by one PM it's quite possible that some people could feel bullied,  :-[  but we also have some kind, talented,suportive people out  there ....... I thank you for your constructive advice about my sheep. And to Dan, well done on a forum which is such a help to so many on everything from animals to punctuation.  :pig:   :chook:   :sheep:  ' (apostrophe)
[/color]
Quote.

[/color]I nearly left this forum a while back after someone attacked a post I made that was I felt uncalled for, I was excited about something and felt slapped in the face by a complete stranger so I just shut up for a while and stopped posting anything personal rather than strictly animal practicalities which I felt was a shame but the only safe way to proceed.  I chose not to leave because I value the information resource, particularly on chook matters where I have only a year experience and blessed little expertise so just changed my use of the forum for a while.

Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 03:35:44 am »
with regard to posts on any forum - try and remember a saying about beekeepers

find a group of 5  up to over a hundred beekeepers and ask the same question to all of them about how to do sumthing with beekeeping and you will get as many answers as their are people.

how fun, listen to what people say and do what you think may work for you ..
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 11:49:25 am »
Just another thought
I don't know it it was in TAS, but somewhere I've seen a sentence, the same sentence a few times wth different words emphasised(sp).
This gave each sentence a completely different meaning, maybe we could look at whether we emphasise the right words when reading posts?
Obviously not knowing the original 'problems' I don't know if this applies in this instance

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 01:41:44 pm »
Just another thought
I don't know it it was in TAS, but somewhere I've seen a sentence, the same sentence a few times wth different words emphasised(sp).
This gave each sentence a completely different meaning, maybe we could look at whether we emphasise the right words when reading posts?

'Twas Sally and it's great - http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=18171  :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2012, 05:54:50 pm »
Just another thought

'Twas Sally and it's great - http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=18171  :)

Brilliant.   :thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 12:46:49 am »
Yep, thanks, that's the one, makes you think doesn't it?
(As I said, theres always someone who can help you out)  ;D   :thumbsup:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 10:01:36 am »
I am a relative newby and don't have a great deal of time to actually participate - certainly not every day, but I do try! lol  I have actually missed everything and have no idea what has gone on, apart from people leaving.

I belong to a few forums, and have to say, I leave the ones that I don't feel comfortable.  I have faaar to much going on to be worrying about arguments in a virtual world.  I do think that this one is fairly friendly. There are a few people who speak their mind and have strong views, but I think you get that everywhere, be it in a virtual world or the real one. 

I do think that a PMS department is a great one cos I just go loony every month, and everyone around me, knows to staaaaay away! lol

Helen

ps, keep up the good work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS