Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good idea - or daft?  (Read 11728 times)

princesspiggy

Good idea - or daft?
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:42:04 pm »

we have a large pond with a central island, which must be 1/4 acre. its full of willow herb and weeds, and only access of rowing across a 10 metre water.
we have tried to keep geese/ducks down there but they didnt like it and came home or got killed by a fox.

now if i rowed across with the adult billy goats for the summer, -
a) would they be safe from foxes so far from our house?
b) would they swim and escape?
c) is alot of willow herb safe to eat?

there is a foto of pond on front page of website
www.auchlethen.com

thanks

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Good idea - or daft?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:44:39 pm »
My pygmy goat eats loads of willow and loves it. Won't the goat be lonely though if by itself? Ours cries and drives us nuts if we ever take her horse friend away. Maybe 2 goats out there? And can you build a shelter on it?
Good luck
PS how will you get the goat across on the boat?
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »
we have two billies so they will be there together til september,  i thought about a shelter but its 4ft high in weeds and its just for 2 summer months.
our old goats used to stay on the border of the pond but these bagots are more agile so def wouldnt stay behind a stock fence.

they will be on their leads and will just have to sit in the boat....lol...would only take 2 mins if we dont capsize!! il have to film it incase we do so we can put it on utube....lol

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:27:42 pm »
Gotta see the boat over  :D

I also think they need at least a rain shelter, even if just a tin sheet they can get under.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:02:40 am »
I think this is a huge risk , goats need shelter, goats don't like getting wet, what happens if you capsize and the goats can't swim ? ours will not willingly walk through a puddle if they can help it. the only safe way of transporting them in a little dingy is to tie their legs together and lay them in the boat. I can't see them being too happy about it, and a diet of just willow herb for two months ? not a good idea. ::)

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:19:10 am »
My goats will wade throu a very shallow stream to get to the other side where there is a plentyful supply of yummy stuff. However if it is was deep amout of water I would worry about them slipping in and drowning.
can you not electric fence the island so one they are on it they wont attempt to cross the water. Also, a shelter, and daily visits vital. Depending on the size of it it may not take him long to get the weeds under control.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:31:37 pm »
Goats can swim and will quite happily wade out into pond to get at the rushes.
   I've seen this done somewhere,can't remember where as it was years ago (when people still kept goats ;) )but vaguelliy think it was at the Chateaux Impney in Droitwhich where castrates were kept over summer in an island in the middle of the lake...not hard to set up a shelter etc

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 02:50:37 pm »
i will take some photos side on.
the water is deep (8ft?)  but graduated at the sides. the  hill/island is easy enough for dogs to climb up.
the bagots are v agile but id be devastated if something happened to them. it would only be the stronger adult billies that go.
i can easily check twice a day minimum and they come to a bucket to no problems in catching them again - as long as willow herb isnt poisonous in large amounts, there is grass etc aswell. i dont think it has been grazed in 20 years....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 05:25:45 pm »
There could be something in the weeds that doesn't agree with the goats? I would take a strimmer (with metal blade on it rather than string) and scythe the stuff for the goats in portions. Much safer!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:57:41 pm »
As long as there's no ragwort.Its no differant than grazing goats on scrubland surely except its surrounded by water heck the whole of the UK is surrounded by water maybe we should stop keeping goats? ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:39:37 pm »
I would be more worried about the boat trip.... with a possibly firghtened (and horned if Bagot???) billy goat or two...

I have no idea if goats can swim, and if yes do they do so willingly???

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:49:00 pm »
I suppose it depends on the size and sturdiness of the boat.

Certainly the first time I had my dog Skye in a canoe, he was nervous and moved about a lot. We survived because he is very responsive to me and despite him being scared I was able to get him to lie down (which he did, on my feet, the boat went along with the bow about 2ft out of the water  ::))

Can't say I'd want to take Ellie and Rowan in a small boat  :D

Horses are sometimes moved across deep-ish water by being swum across on haters. Don't think I'd want to try that with my goats either  :P It's the getting them there that is beginning to sound problematic, isn't it  :-\

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:48:26 am »
If they do get off they island can they escape into the blue yonder? That would be my concern.
Adult goats are usually savvy on what to eat if there is variety, mine eat loads of willowherb, just double check for baddies,
It sounds like the trip over will be the interesting bit, looking forward to the video ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 03:06:41 pm »
we had a good look today, seems to be willow herb, grass and the softer brambles. it does have ragwort but i cant pull that when we get on it.  (we have been here 7 yrs, just a bit slow...as have never set foot on it)
as its man-made, its too deep too quick for me to wade/swim but dogs love it.
its on my land but these goats jump over stock fencing.

im trying to find a wee boat now...it would be a 2 min journey...i just thought id see what u guys thought before i had the sspca on the door step....lol...which im expecting as its close to the main road.  ::) :o
i know some people keep bagots on turf roofs!

id always planned on using the pond to breed geese once my youngest went to school but thats another year away yet, i would so love a boat!!

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 03:29:41 pm »
 ;D
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS