Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP-- sudden death of lambs  (Read 13748 times)

kris

• Joined Jun 2012
HELP-- sudden death of lambs
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:09:04 pm »
 hey i have a lot of cade lambs given o me by a couple local farmers i have over 100 lol
 but i have had a rough time with it  i have had pasteruella pneumonia
 cos of the crap weather  they have been vaccinate by ovac plus
 and have been wormed they are out on grass  pasture and i have been  loosing some daily
 the vet said pulp kidney  but they have been vaccinated any more ideas  please  need some i have looked at possibility's  not having much luck
 what ever it is its not affecting the ewes and there lambs we have

any ideas ??
 sorry for the spelling  ???

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: HELP-- sudden death of lambs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:35:02 pm »
Is it bloat? Cocci? are they scouring?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:46:41 pm »
Not heard of Ovac plus....? Lambivac and Heptovac P are the ones usually used :-\ Sounds very odd.....
How old are they all? have they got scour, if so could be cocci.....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:49:17 pm »
Wormer resistant worms? There are worms that can kill very quickly if the weather is favourable. Usually just after a dry spell. Nematode something or other. The vaccinations should have prevented pasteurella aswell as pulpy kidney. What about fluke? Did they get two vaccinations?

Get a post mortem done asap, that may be the only way to tell.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this before you lose any more.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:00:39 am »
Nematodyrus - shouldn't knock em over that quick.

I have the strangest feeling Ovivac doesnt do the colostridial diseases, I'll have to check...

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 12:04:54 am »
Hi,
Really hope you don't loose any more, but if you do drop it into your local large animal vets and get them to have a look inside it.  This way they can know for sure on their diagnosis of pulp kidney.

Good luck!

Tim
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 12:07:24 am »
ovivac-p is a cutdown version of heptavac-p, can't remember which diseases it doesn't do but i think it may be some of the clostridials. Can't check on NOAH myself right now, am on mobile.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 12:30:09 am »
Ovivac P: vaccine for the active immunisation of lambs as an aid in the control of pulpy kidney, tetanus, braxy and blackleg. An opaque fluid vaccine combined 4 in 1 clostridial plus pasteurella vaccine.
[/size]
[/size]Heptavac P Plus: sheep and lamb vaccine for the active immunisation of sheep as an aid in the control of lamb dysentery, pulpy kidney, struck, tetanus, braxy, blackleg, black disease and clostridial metritis caused by the above listed organisms. An opaque fluid vaccine combined 7 in 1 clostridial plus pasteurella vaccine.
[/size]
[/size]So Ovivac does do pasturella....
[/size]
[/size]Hmm...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 06:55:54 am »
We've been talking about worms on another thread. There is worm resistance. It may be worth sending a specimen. You can get a kit from your vet or buy one online from Supplies for Smallholders (link below)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 09:04:22 am »
I was told that the one of the first signs of nematodyrus is death. Thanks for the conformation of spelling Steve.

We had some lambs a few years ago that were infected with reistant worms.We found two dead over a coupleof dayas and I thought I was going to lose more. Thought we were okay because they had been wormed.

Vet diagnosed the worm problem and told us to use the injection ( cydectin) and also terramycin injection (some had a temperature) and vitamins to help them recover.

Would expect them to have dirty bottoms if it is a worm problem!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:17:23 am by omnipeasant »

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 09:36:30 am »
To be honest, a few dead every day is classic for pasturella, but they have been vaccinated....

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 11:18:13 am »
When were they vaccinated kris?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 01:09:05 pm »
Ah Ovivac P.....!!! Would still suspect pasturella or if not cocci....

PM and dung samples I think!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

kris

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 02:23:45 pm »
thank you guys for all the replys  has my brain going over time  they where wormed 4 weeks ago and none showing dirty bottoms  they seem to be fine one minuet walking round then dead the next  the ovac was  complete the second dose 3-4 weeks ago  they also had dysect fly treatment  as the same   and have been dagged
 the vet  surgested PM but the knacker man had been already so have to see how it plays out   the vet surgested boltoulisum  because we had a lot of hens  and used the much over the land in feb  to get a good grass crop for winter   when we first turned out the ewes with there lambs we had some losses  but we put that down to the s**t weather and the fact they where all ewe lambs
 we have lost so far over 60% of the cade lambs we had
 the wormer is a group 3 ivomectin

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 02:40:05 pm »
Since you state that you have had pneumonia in this group already , my money would be on this, it can kill in a matter of hours or weeks, if you treated with drugs long term damage can still be done. Pulpy kidney tends to kill only the very best lambs and only the odd case NORMALY . IT is very easy to do a quick PM your self ( and interesting ) for pneumonia /pulpy kidney / fluke.     When you vaccinate you must give the right amount 2ml repeat 4-6wks later before any protection, this will NOT CURE any any problems NOR does it  impart 100% protection , in the case of pneumonia their are numerous types and the vaccines only protect against the most common                   You say you wormed 4 weeks ago please get your vet to do a worm count quickly as NEMATODIRUS can kill in very severe cases with no outward signs , group 1 wormers  are better in this case
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:00:09 pm by shep53 »

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS