Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP-- sudden death of lambs  (Read 13786 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: HELP-- sudden death of lambs
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 05:29:19 pm »
Its worth mentioning that vaccinating won't cure a sheep with pasturella already. I'm fairly sure Alamycin LA covers those bacteria, but I cant remeber. I'll go out tho the meds shed when its stopped raining....

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »
Suziequeue - The basic pm  will not give a definative answer but it does quickly show any  of the three problems . The last time i did a formal pm , with traveling to AYR and back plus disposal ( 3 YR'S  ago     ) cost £250 diagnosis inconclusive , tried the vet and she did the same as do plus sent off samples  , cost £150  again inconclusive, so an individuals choice.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 06:39:30 pm »
Cocci lambs often scour heavily though and theres no mention of that.....
That is true Steve but when mine had cocci (and all the cades had it) only 2 were scoured but all 9 affected.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 07:01:43 pm »
Suziequeue - The basic pm  will not give a definative answer but it does quickly show any  of the three problems . The last time i did a formal pm , with traveling to AYR and back plus disposal ( 3 YR'S  ago     ) cost £250 diagnosis inconclusive , tried the vet and she did the same as do plus sent off samples  , cost £150  again inconclusive, so an individuals choice.
Yeah - it was a bit harsh - sorry Plt102....... but I did like the Lancelot Spratt vision  ;D ;D

Last time we had a PM done I took the sheep down to the yard in a wheelbarrow because the vet was already there PMing a bull. I don't think they charged but didn't send any samples. Provisional diagnosis was encephalitis of some description since all other organs were normal and she did have nystagmus prior to being despatched but as we had used a bolt there wasn't much to go on...... 
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 07:05:16 pm »
Just want to clarify that I am the one who only lost one lamb not the person who started the thread with 60 percent. So that's probably why my vet wasn't as concerned etc. I was just frustrated that he couldn't tell me if the big grey bag on the liver was liver fluke and could not tell me that the normal looking kidneys mean no pulpy kidney. I Sorry for the confusion.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »
I am a  :turkey:

;D ;D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 07:20:46 pm »
I was just frustrated that he couldn't tell me if the big grey bag on the liver was liver fluke and could not tell me that the normal looking kidneys mean no pulpy kidney. I Sorry for the confusion.
      GALL BLADDER ???

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »
Yep gall bladder. Funny how I find out more from this forum than from a vet :-) So no fluke as the rest of liver looked perfect and no pulpy kidney. Looks like ill just keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 10:10:02 pm »
Did you slice the liver or the gall bladder. If you've got mature fluke that's where they'll be.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 09:41:49 am »
I sliced the liver in a few places and no signs of parasites. All looked like you would get at butcher. Didn't slice the gall bladder. I took a photo of the liver and kidney so ill put it on here when I get time

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS