Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not good news for those who use St Andrews Abbotoir  (Read 4135 times)

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Not good news for those who use St Andrews Abbotoir
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:12 pm »
Oh dear  ::)  I do hope that with local support they will survive this.
Our "local" abbattoir hasn't taken pigs for years & are unlikely to reinstate the service, as "there is not enough call for it".  So it means a round trip of 80 miles - twice, each time (take & collect).
If folks don't support St Andrew's now, it'll be lost for good.  Shame ...
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:57:22 am »
We use St Andrews - we'll be gutted if it closes.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:38:46 am »
we had heard this last week         not much will be done if it is intended to develop the site  there is more money in selling with no continued running costs  and that is what kills them even new builds they need a huge throughput to justify there existence
this will be no slaughterhouses in the the south/mid east  of Scotland   
wishaw we had been informed had stopped as well and Irvin's of blairgowrie has changed   they are all part of lawrie and symington  just makes you wonder :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:45:37 am »
I think these closures create an unacceptable animal welfare picture with animals having to travel longer distances to abbatoirs. Also extra costs for smallholders who have to take the test for travelling longer disatances whereas previously it might have been under the lower limit. Grrr

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:56:33 am »
It's awful news  :(  but I can understand that if folks are running at a loss that it's hard to continue.

Hadn't heard about Wishaw though  :-\  They were always really busy and I thought had a few commercial contracts, bizarre  ???  Or maybe it's karma  ::)

I'm sure I read a bit a while back (think it might have been in the Scottish Farmer) about a site that had been passed for building a new abattoir down Dumfries way, maybe it'll be up and running soon ?

I wholeheartedly agree with L&M - distances for travelling should be kept to a minimum and animal welfare must always have a higher priority than costs.

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:57:45 am »
We use St Andrews - we'll be gutted if it closes.
But the pigs won't be!!
Its ok I'll get my coat.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:03:32 am »
HH that new one is to replace the old one at lockerbie that is intending shutting down    they have funding for the build it is the running costs that is the stumbling block             karma that will be the new flavour of sausages that is selling well :innocent: :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:51:06 am »
karma that will be the new flavour of sausages that is selling well :innocent: :farmer:
???  You've lost me - I'm easily confused right enough  :D 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS