Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have you changed?  (Read 9414 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Have you changed?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 10:57:08 am »
Sabrina,
I am the same with perfume. No matter what I am wearing these days I always wear some perfume although I do wear the cheaper ones for the pigs  ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 10:58:54 am »
All your replies are so interesting and some are quite humbling.  Also amazing to see how many high flyers out there are brought back to the land.  Seems the most natural thing in the world really.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

deepinthewoods

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 01:11:39 pm »
All your replies are so interesting and some are quite humbling.  Also amazing to see how many high flyers out there are brought back to the land.  Seems the most natural thing in the world really.

everything feels hollow once youve permanently got dirty hands.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 07:34:31 pm »

everything feels hollow once youve permanently got dirty hands.
God yes i went for my ring fitting and i was soo embarassed there was all these pretty girls choosing wedding rings with lovely long nails of pretty shades and there was me and my monster sheep hands broken nails with permanent grime from planting the veg :o  i was holding it together until my intended pointed out i had wood shavings in my hair as well ::)  we did have a laugh ;D

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 12:45:50 pm »
Wow - all you high-powered ladies.  I'm glad you've changed or are changing  ;D

I've never been one for high heels and make-up, hairdressers and statement cars (fast bikes, yes  8) ).

That's me, too. Although my bike was rather slow and steady. Never managed to have a career - result, I can't afford to turn to smallholding. Fact of life. But can't say I'm too unhappy; not at the moment - this can change at any time, of course. Actually, at the time my bank statement tells me I'm skint again.

Course you can. You just need to get out of the 'must buy land' mindset. Loads of things can be done on the cheap. Henhouses made from palletwood, growing veg etc. I started with 15 sheep on somebody elses paddock. I still graze it - bung em a lamb every now and then.....

Not everybody's circumstances are the same. Yes, I do grow veg in the garden - I am lucky in the way that I live in one of the council houses that do have some garden that's not all under chuckies. But if I put up a henhouse from pallets, the council would have me out of here in no time at all - if they'd agree to let me keep hens in the first place. And anyway, the neighbour's dog would probably prevent any livestock from thriving on my tiny piece of land. And even if I kept sheep on somebody else's land - I'd have to find that first, I'd have to find money for sheep, I'd have to always have a functioning car to get to the sheep - ok, maybe I am too security aware, I just feel too old to risk my last penny on something like that. I did have a couple of goats at one stage, but lost my job along with the house where I kept them in the garden - and got into trouble about that, too - so maybe I've just had too much negative experience to try again? I'm not complaining - I'm just saying it's different for everybody.

I know plenty in council housing who keep hens - dunno if they ask though.  ;D

Maybe its different in the sticks - the row of council houses that backed onto the school where I went as a kid had at least 4 different cockerels in four different gardens - we would hear the crowing being passed from one end of the row to the other....

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 04:17:47 am »
Sorry Bionic, did not mean to upset anybody with been personal, unfortunately in my experience, cars do change people. I can remember a Walt Disney cartoon about cars made in the 1950s. The character, Goofy, known as Mr Walker comes out of his house all placid and pious, picks a worm up off the tarmac and puts it back in the soil. He then gets in his car and becomes possessed by the devil and becomes Mr Wheeler. Selfish, evil madman behind the wheel. absolutely hilarious but so true.
My job is to Mot and repair cars, take money off the customer, pay the overheads and what remains is for us doing the work. A car is a persons 2nd biggest investment/cost after their home and we work with that in mind. Some customers have little money and are decent folk. Others have a lot of money and are decent folk, but some folk have a car above their station and they become difficult folk.
After dealing with members of the car mad society, there is nothing better for me than pratting around in my field, feeding birds, introducing wild plants and trees, growing a crop and DRIVING at 10 MPH on my ol' David Brown Tractor on a road at five o'clock rush hour    ;D :-[
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 08:52:44 am »
Odin I think I may have been behing you when I was driving my sports car  ;D ;D

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 06:27:30 am »
Then bin the sports car coz they are a bit 'yesterday', get thy'sen an old tractor, bolt something on the back that looks like it fell off Bodecias' Chariot, checked shirt and wellieys, cherry fuel, no mot, its the future.  :thumbsup:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 10:02:41 am »
Sounds good Odin. The sports car has already gone as I didn't think it was suitable for the country lanes. I have a 4x4 now. Still need to get th tractor.
Sally

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 04:25:01 pm »
I think I have changed gradually over the years.  I started out working as a secretary in a University, moved to the NE with husband and started working as a research assistant in the summers which was basically wandering around a moor counting various wildlife!  We had a reasonable sized garden and started keeping a few chickens. 

Moved back down to the NW with OH, again!, and then got a few more chickens and within the last 3 years have added a pony, turkeys, ducks and this year, goats! as well as an assortment of dogs, totalling 10. 

Helen

Simple Simon

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 07:32:04 pm »
For years I was absent for most of the week and per-occupied or jet-lagged when I was at home.  I was very good at my job -  but I very much more enjoy not doing it.   I still work as a consultant, but part time and from home.  I'm off the beta blockers and sleeping tablets but the hay fever is worse.  The cars average nearly ten years old, the tractor being newer than any of them.  We at better, more varied and more local food.  Despite almost no holidays we don't seem to miss them, and we don't fly anywhere!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS