Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: asparagus  (Read 4067 times)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
asparagus
« on: April 29, 2009, 12:50:33 pm »
i planted a number of asparagus crowns in march and i'm starting to wonder if it was all in my imagination as there is still no signs of life - when should shoots above ground start to appear?  having seen last weeks gardeners world, the ones they planted had a protruding vertical "tip" that looked a good inch in length when planting - mine didn't - now worried that i was either sold duff plants, or that they have died - can anyone shed light on what i should expect and when?

thanks L

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
Re: asparagus
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 12:56:22 pm »
I planted my 1st crowns in March as well and nothing yet so I am in the same boat.  This is my 1st try at planting anything other than flowers so I will be looking forward to any answers you get.

Good luck anyway

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:18:19 pm »
I planted mine in March.  It seemed like forever for the plants to poke their heads above the surface.  Most of them pretty small diameter and vary from about 3 inches to 18 inches in height.  About 20 of 25 have sprouted so far.

The temperature here has gotten all the way up into the 70s and low 80s F.  After a cool start to spring.

Just wait...I bet they are just biding their time.
Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:12:58 pm »
Mine arrived in early March - didn't have the bed ready so laid them out in damp sand. Planted them 2 weeks ago and they are starting to shoot - bit spindly but 3 -4 inches - they size isn't everything!
Liz

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:06:32 am »
our first year crop(last year) was quite plentiful but spindly , this year has been fabulous (despite the flooding) we have had several meals worth - and has been worth the investment in crowns - alas i havent had the heart to sell any yet ( far too good!) 
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 12:47:44 pm »
update, i have signs of life from a few of the crowns - have definite spears above the surface at last :) only couple of inches but at least they are not dead  ;D

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 01:40:44 pm »
Asparagus like horse manure by the way...give those new sprouts some food to encourage growth the first year...they also like bone meal.

Congratulations!
Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS