Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep not grazing  (Read 3673 times)

Cycle gladiator

• Joined Apr 2012
Sheep not grazing
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:53:29 am »
Our ewe, who has given birth to twins 9 wks ago has stopped grazing over the last 24hrs, she is just standing there. There is some scouring, not a massive amount, and we wormed her about 3 wks ago. Any ideas on what I can give her, I have tried hard feed and hay but she will not be tempted. I have checked for fly strike and no sign of that.  Any advice would be useful.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Sheep not grazing
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 01:55:00 pm »
Personally, I would ring the vet for advice asap.  If she's not eating and scouring then she will go down hill very rapidly.

Is she drinking?  Have you tried tempting her to eat sheep nuts/mix or some other tasty treat that your sheep like?  Ivy?  Digestive biscuits?  Hay ...etc

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:58:33 pm »
Definitely get the vet, whatever it is is likely to be fairly serious as sheep try to look well to put off predators. In the meantime, try her with ivy or dock leaves as they love both or at least one of them.
If she doesnt eat her rumen will stop working and that can be fatal without drastic treatment like our vet did with a twin lamb disease ewe where he took rumen juices from one of his own (unamused I imagine) ewes and we drenched her with them, bit like reactivating a septic tank bacteria. But she might also need urgent jabs eg of calcium or magnesium.
good luck

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »
Could be so many things, mastitis, worms again even after 3 weeks ( could be reistant worms) teeth problems. Yes get the vet quickly. Are the lambs still suckling?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:04:16 pm »
If it isn't grazing, theres something wrong. Can you catch it? Are there any other sympyoms?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:09:36 pm »
Bring her in, with her lambs - to a pen in the field probably, unless you have something under cover that is open to the air?

I'd talk to the vet but might also try injecting her with Calciject. Doesn't do any harm and I have had sheep with milk fever who didn't collapse immediately but just did this, stood and stared.

Also agree with trying her with a bit of ivy.

Something is definitely wrong with a sheep that doesn't eat!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS